The geology major consists of a minimum of 12 courses as follows:
- One 100-level course
- Processes and Concepts of Geology
- Invertebrate Paleontology
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Structural Geology
- Junior Independent Study
- Senior Independent Study (451 and 452)
- Chemistry 110
Geology majors who intend to make a career in geology are strongly urged to supplement their curriculum with at least one additional course in chemistry, two courses in physics, and two courses in calculus (or a combination of calculus and computer science). Other relevant courses, such as in biology or the social sciences, will depend upon the student’s particular interest.
The Geology minor consists of six courses, one of which must be Geology 200; no more than two of the six courses may be at the 100-level.