Majors explore their own research questions relating to gender and sexuality. In their Jr. Independent Study seminar, Doing Feminist Research, WGSS majors, minors, and other students who plan to pursue feminist research in their I.S. are introduced to feminist research methods as well as distinctive feminist critical approaches to issues in the social sciences, natural sciences, and the humanities. In their senior year, working under the guidance of a faculty member, students explore their own research for the Independent Study project.
Recent I.S. projects have included:
- a study of fat positive feminism in blogs
- an analysis of novels about eating disorders published in the U.S. and France
- an investigation of feminist Bible study techniques in South Africa
- a cross-cultural feminist analysis of quinceañeras
- a study of masculinity in the ex-gay movement
Learn more about Independent Study.