Tips for Sustainable Living
- Turn off lights when leaving your office or classroom
- Recycle all paper, cans, bottles
- Use scrap paper rather than fresh paper for notes and memos
- Print double-sided
- Think twice before printing copies of electronic messages, etc. Can you read it on your computer instead?
- Use reuseable containers for coffee and other beverages. You can take your own cup to Old Main, and drink from the water fountain instead of using bottled water.
- Minimize the use of paper handouts in class. Syllabi, assignments, etc. can be posted on-line.
- Consider having students submit their work electronically. If they turn in printed material, encourage them to print double-sided.
- Print to the high-volume copiers rather than to small laser-printers – it’s more energy-efficient.
- If you can, walk to work.
Any of these will not only reduce the college’s environmental impact and save the college money; they also serve our educational mission by reminding each other about the environmental threats we face and illustrating the meaning of responsible citizenship.