Consists of eleven courses:
- CHIN 201: Intermediate Chinese Level I
- One elective Chinese course at the 200- or 300-level
- HIST 234: Traditional China
- HIST 235: Modern China
- One of the following courses: HIST 101 (when China-focused), HIST 237, SOC 219, PHIL 230, PHIL 232, or RELS 216
- HIST 236: Modern Japan
- RELS 220: Buddhism
- ANTH 231: Peoples and Cultures of Japan
- Junior Independent Study: EAST 401
- Senior Independent Study: EAST 451
- Senior I.S.Independent Study: EAST 452
Consists of six courses:
- CHIN 201
- Two of the following courses: a Chinese course at the 200- or 300-level, HIST 101 (when China-focused), 234, 235, 237, SOCI 219, RELS 216
- Two of the following courses: ANTH 231 (when Japan-focused), HIST 236, RELS 220
- One of the 200- or 300-level cross-listed courses accepted for EAST credit
- Off-campus Study: The major and minor in East Asian Studies require the completion of an approved off-campus study program in an East Asian country (usually Japan). Up to three approved transfer credits may count toward the requirements for the major.
- Students who wish to take the maximum number of courses for this major are encouraged to complete additional courses from the options offered in the major requirements.
- Only grades of C- or better are accepted for the major or minor.