Majors explore their own research questions relating to gender and sexuality. In their Jr. Independent Study seminar, they learn feminist research methodologies in the humanities, arts, social sciences, and natural sciences, integrating them to explore complex questions of gender and sexual equality. In their senior year, working under the guidance of a faculty member, students explore their own research for the Independent Study project. Please follow the guidelines of the I.S. Handbook.
Recent I.S. projects have included:
- a study of current approaches to and needed improvements in sex education
- an analysis of novels about eating disorders published in the U.S. and France
- an investigation of feminist Bible study techniques in South Africa
- a study of fat positive feminism in blogs
- a feminist analysis of women’s under-representation in physics
- a study of masculinity in the ex-gay movement
Learn more about Independent Study.