The College of Wooster Nursery School is currently enrolling children for the 2014-2015 school year. Our program is open to all area children age 3-5 years old. We welcome you to call for more information or to set up a visit. We offer 2-day, 3-day, 4-day and 5-day 2 1/2 hour classes.
Our program is based on a philosophy of early childhood education which is derived from the cognitive developmental theory of Jean Piaget, a Swiss child psychologist. According to this theory, young children are not passive recipients of knowledge. They actively construct their own knowledge of the world when they are provided with a physical and social environment that gives them the materials, freedom, encouragement and time to explore and experiment, to try out their own ideas, and to learn from their own successes and failures.
Purposes & Goals
Our ultimate purpose is to provide an environment which will promote the optimum intellectual, social and physical development of each child entrusted to our care. Our primary goal for every child is the development of a more positive self-concept; the child who feels good about him/herself is more open to his/her social and physical world. We also place emphases on the development of social skills, creative self-expression, self-discipline, self-reliance and a positive attitude toward school and learning. It is vital that a child's first school experience be a positive one, for it is there that attitudes toward school are formed and important foundations for future learning are laid.
- Children must be 3 years of age to be enrolled.
- Children need to be toilet-trained.
- Average class size is 20 children.
- Morning Class for 3 and 4-year-olds held on Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m.
- Morning Class for 4 and 5-year-olds held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m.
- Afternoon Class for 3 to 5-year-olds held on Monday through Friday from 12:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Lunch option. Children may bring their lunch and eat with a teacher. The lunch hour for all classes is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. A $5 fee will be charged for each lunchtime. Families using the lunch option will be billed at the end of each month.
- Each class has two teachers and three to five college students.
- An open door policy exists. Parents are welcome at any time to visit and/or share their interests and talents.
- Parent/teacher conversations are a vital part of the program.
- Parents receive a written report of their child's experience at the end of the year.
- Tuition for 2014- 2015 school year.
- School is licensed by the State of Ohio.