MLK Events - Spring 2015
January 12 - 20
Fall 2009 – Spring 2014
Social Justice Institute Training
Investigating the Intersections of Race, Sex, and Religion...Creating Change Agents...
Nov 16, 2013: Training by the Social Justice Training Institute (SJTI) and the Washington
Consulting Group (WCG) for STUDENT participants
Facilitators: Sam Offer, Monica Rivera.
Training made deeper the level of authentic conversations about and across race, religion and sexExplore the dynamics of intersect of race, religion and sex.Practice the skill of self-awareness as a tool for effective change.Explore and engage internalized oppression and internalized dominance for the purpose of healing and change.Considered next steps for personal learning and actions in order to build an effective and cohesive community.
April 9, 2014: Training for faculty and staff nominated by student participants of
the first workshop.
Facilitator: Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington
Training focused on how faculty and staff can empower social justice change.Focus on social justice topics pertaining to faculty/staff in higher education.
- Ronald Takaki Conference (2009)
- Global Queer Conference (in collaboration an ad hoc consortium of Wooster faculty) (2012)
- Civility Beyond Wooster (2013)
- Cheers for Civility (2013)
- Wade Davis “Interference: When Masculinity and Being Gay Collide” (2013)
- Reflections on Peace (2012)
- Columbus Day Panel Discussion (2011)
- Debating for Democracy National Conference in collaboration with Project Pericles (2011)
- Leader in Residence – Lateefa Simon (2011)
- Norma Ramos Lecture on Human Trafficking (2011)
- RePlay for Kids Workshop and more… (2012)
- Cherrie Moraga Faculty Workshop on Pedagogy (2012)
- Derald Sue Faculty/Staff Workshop on Intercultural Communications and Micro-Aggressions (2013)
Visual and Performance Art
- Posing Beauty (2013)
- Van Jordan, poetry reading in collaboration with the Department of English (2011)
- Views of Arab America Film Series (2011)
- Jose Galvez, photographer and speaker (in collaboration with Department of Spanish) (2012)
- Salgado Maranhao, poet and translater (in collaboration with the Department of English (2012)
- Posing Beauty in African American Culture in collaboration with the College of Wooster Art Museum (2013)