Discriminatory and Bias-Related Harassment
Harassment constitutes a form of discrimination that is prohibited by law. The College of Wooster will remedy all forms of harassment when reported, whether or not the harassment rises to the level of creating a hostile environment. When harassment rises to the level of creating a hostile environment, The College of Wooster may also impose sanctions on the harasser. The College of Wooster’s harassment policy explicitly prohibits any form of harassment, defined as unwelcome conduct on the basis of actual or perceived membership in a protected class, by any member or group of the community.
A hostile environment may be created by oral, written, graphic, or physical conduct that is sufficiently severe, persistent, pervasive, or objectively offensive so as to interfere with, limit, or deny the ability of an individual to participate in or benefit from educational programs or activities or employment access, benefits, or opportunities.
Offensive conduct and/or harassment that does not rise to the level of discrimination or that is of a generic nature not on the basis of a protected status may not result in the imposition of discipline under College policy, but will be addressed through civil confrontation, remedial actions, education, and/or effective conflict resolution mechanisms. For assistance with conflict resolution techniques, employees should contact the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, and students should contact the Dean of Students Office.
The College of Wooster condemns and will not tolerate discriminatory harassment against any employee, student, visitor, or guest on the basis of any status protected by College policy or law.
To make a report of discriminatory or bias-related harassment:
- Contact Security and Protective Services: 2590 (from campus phone) or 330-263-2590
- Call the Anonymous Tip Line: 2337 (from campus phone) or 330-263-2337
- Contact the Dean of Students Office: 2545 (from campus phone) or 330-263-2545
- Contact the Associate Vice President of Human Resources – Marcia Beasley: 2016 (from campus phone) or 330-263-2016, Service Center 93, Human Resource’s Office
- Submit a Report of Discriminatory Harassment/Sexual Misconduct online.