To Do List: October
- Plant Garden Mums (Chrysanthemums) - planting early in the season and watering regularly increases the chances that your mums will make it through the winter.
- Bulbs – order or purchase spring flowering bulbs (Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus). Garden Centers will have a better selection if you buy early.
- Broadleaf Weed Control – Fall is a GOOD time to control weeds. Perennial weeds translocate carbohydrates to their roots in the fall and will move systemic herbicides down also, killing the ENTIRE weed.
- Prepare Leaf Pickup Equipment– Leaf pickup season is just around the corner. Now is a good time to make sure everything works well and make new purchases if necessary.
- Turf Fertilization -While your lawn is actively growing, now is a good time to apply a slow release fertilizer. This fertilizer will provide nutrients for the next 6 weeks before the turfgrass plant stops growing as temperatures drop.
- Tree Planting -Now is a good time to being to think about planting trees on your property. Along with other woody plants.
The mission of the campus grounds is to provide a safe and pleasant outdoor environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors through the maintenance of the campus grounds.
Grounds Crew is Honored with Prestigious PGMS Accreditation
The College of Wooster has received a Landscape Management and Operations Accreditation as awarded by the Professional Grounds Management Society (PGMS), it was announced by Walt Bonvell, a Certified Grounds Manager (CGM), past president of PGMS and senior grounds lead of Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Read more (.pdf).