The mission of the campus grounds is to provide a safe and pleasant outdoor environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors through the maintenance of the campus grounds.
To Do List for October: Lawn and Landscape
- Plant Garden Mums (Chrysanthemums) - planting early in the season and watering regularly increases the chances that your mums will make it through the winter.
- Bulbs - order or purchase spring flowering bulbs (Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus). Garden Centers will have a better selection if you buy early.
- Broadleaf Weed Control - Fall is a GOOD time to control weeds. Perennial weeds translocate carbohydrates to their roots in the fall and will move systemic herbicides down also, killing the ENTIRE weed.
- Prepare Leaf Pickup Equipment - Leaf pickup season is just around the corner. Now is a good time to make sure everything works well and make new purchases if necessary.
- Turf Fertilization - While your lawn is actively growing, now is a good time to apply a slow release fertilizer. This fertilizer will provide nutrients for the next 6 weeks before the turfgrass plant stops growing as tempurtures drop.
- Tree Planting - Now is a good time to being to think about planting trees on your property. Along with other woody plants.
Green Star Awards
The College of Wooster’s grounds department has received two 2010 Green Star Awards from the Professional Ground Management Society, one for Andrew Turf Field and one for the landscaping around Gault Manor.