Provides informed and scholarly research assistance to the campus community, engages in active learning and teaching of effective research practices in multiple disciplines, and maintains an environment conducive to academic inquiry. Reports to the Research & Information Services Librarian.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities (may include the following, but will not be limited to):
- Provides directional, instructional, and research technology assistance to library users
- Assists library users in answering research questions, using a broad range of information resources
- Refers extended or complex research questions to the appropriate librarian
- Develops awareness of the functions of all College Libraries departments, and makes appropriate referrals
- Maintains awareness of on-campus activities/events occurring during their work shifts
- Develops increasing expertise in the effective use and teaching of research tools
- Maintains organization of and access to library research collections
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation of Research Help services provided, as well as situations requiring follow-up
- Monitors and makes initial response to all incoming Research Help queries, including in-person, email, text, and phone traffic.
- Successful completion (cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better) of at least one semester at The College
- Commitment to working at least 8 hours weekly, including evenings and weekends
- Commitment to extensive work with and learning of research databases and technologyedication to effective public service
- Ability to work for extended periods without direct supervision
- Evidence of resourcefulness and good judgment in customer service interactions
- Strong work ethic and effective time management
- Attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal communication skillsAbility to work collaboratively with all members of the Research Help team
- Experience in customer service
- Experience searching online databases and using mobile technologies
- Experience working in a library or bookstore
To be considered for an interview, applicants must also complete The College of Wooster Libraries Research Help Desk Student Application (.pdf), indicating hours of availability and confirming basic position requirements are met.
Posted November 27, 2013