Gap Year/Deferred Enrollment
847 College Ave.
Wooster, OH 44691
Deferred enrollment can provide valuable learning experiences outside of the classroom prior to a student entering college. At Wooster, we value the growth students gain from these perspectives and welcome them to explore our deferred enrollment policy.
Deferred Enrollment Process
Students interested in deferred enrollment, also known as a gap year, should apply to Wooster as a first-year student. When a first-year student applies and is admitted to Wooster, the assumption is that they will enroll in the fall term for which they applied. However, some students find that deferring their enrollment for a semester, or year, is preferred. Deferred enrollment is not guaranteed, but the Wooster Admissions Office will work to accommodate all reasonable requests.
Due to the uncertainties caused by the pandemic, Wooster will be as flexible as possible with requests for deferred enrollment. Our current policy and practices include:
- Students should submit a Request Form to defer fall enrollment by July 1 (this deadline may adjust as we learn more about the 2020-2021 academic calendar).
- The Office of Admissions will review the request and notify the student of a decision within 7-10 days.
- The student must submit the $400 non-refundable enrollment deposit no later than June 1.
- If a student chooses to take a gap semester or full year, they are permitted to take classes at another institution.
- Our current transfer credit policy is as follows: first-year students can transfer up to 8 course credits (32 semester hours) of transfer work. Transfer work includes AP, CAPE, IB, A-Levels and courses taken at other colleges and universities. To have an unofficial evaluation of credits for possible transfer to Wooster, please have an official transcript send to Kristine Jamieson, Interim Registrar, for evaluation.
- If a student wishes to transfer more than 32 semester hours and still wishes to participate in first-year student orientation, housing, etc., we will work with families on an individual basis to determine appropriate next steps.
- Any Wooster merit and competitive-based scholarships are honored for up to one year (and distributed by semester accordingly). For students electing to take a fall semester gap experience, need-based financial aid will be distributed for the spring semester as indicated on the existing financial aid award. For students choosing to take a full gap year experience, students must reapply for need-based financial aid by completing the FAFSA for the next academic year.
Wooster is a proud partner of Verto Education, an innovative bridge program that offers the only international first-year experience with transferable class credits so you can still graduate in four years. These accredited, overseas programs help students achieve a rewarding first semester or first year through experiential education in multiple and distinct regions across the world. Program leaders and faculty foster self-discovery through journaling, mentorship, service learning programs and a homestay experience. Students apply to the Verto program and Wooster using a single application, and financial aid is available for both Verto and Wooster.
Questions and Concerns
Please contact Tracy Karr, Gap Year and Transfer Student Coordinator, with any questions.