- BA. in Philosophy, Kalamazoo College, 2009
- M.A. in Women’s History, Sarah Lawrence College, 2012. Thesis: “The Right to Live with Dignity: Black Women’s Spatial Resistance in Apartheid South Africa”
- M.L.I.S. University of Denver, 2015
I am the College of Wooster’s Digital Curation Librarian. In that capacity, I provide leadership for the library’s efforts to create, curate, preserve, and promote digital archival materials. I manage Open Works, the College’s institutional repository, which houses our campus’ scholarly publications. I also partner with students and faculty on a variety of pedagogical digital projects. I am the library’s liaison for the following departments: Art & Art History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and French & Francophone Studies.
- Dempsey, A. & Heil, C. (2021). Agile Library Instruction: Piloting Collaboratively-Created Information Literacy Modules. Journal of Library & Information Services in Distance Learning.
- Huston-Findley, S., Heil, C., Lane-Davies, H. (2020). Re-characterizing How We Teach and Learn: Incorporating Digital Humanities in the Theatre Classroom. Theatre/Practice.
- Matusiak, K., Newton, C., Polepeddi, P., Tyler A. & Rist, J. (2017). Giving voice to the community: Digitizing JeffCo oral histories in Participatory Heritage Preservation.
- Matusiak, K., Newton, C. & Tyler, A. (2016). Finding access and digital preservation solutions for a digitized oral history project: A case study. Digital Library Perspectives, Special Issue: Digital Preservation for Cultural Heritage Institutions.
- Heil, C., Monbarren, D. & Krabbe, M. (2021). Countering Imperialist Narratives through Project Design: Creating the ‘Letters from Harriet Noyes’ Collection. Association for Documentary Editing Annual Meeting, virtual.
- Dempsey, A. & Heil, C. (2021). Reacting/Adapting to a Pandemic: Building Online Library Modules for First-Year Students. LOEX, virtual.
- Heil, C. & Dempsey, A. (2021). Collaboratively Created Information Literacy Modules (Poster) Association of College & Research Libraries, virtual conference.
- Huston-Findley, S., Heil, C., Lane-Davies, H. (2020). Re-Characterizing How We Teach and Learn: Three Perspectives on Incorporating Digital Humanities into the Theatre Classroom. Mid-America Theatre Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Heil, C., Craven, C. & Linafelt, E. (2019). Building Digital Archives as We Fight, panel sponsored by the Digital Humanities Caucus, American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- Heil, C., et. al. (2019). Consortial Collaboration to Spark Faculty Interest in Digital Pedagogy. Bucknell Digital Scholarship Conference, Lewisburg, PA.
- Heimann, D., Heil, C., Holloway, J., Sharrow, Z. (2019). Advancing your open content initiatives: practical tips for managing open content resources, invited panelist, Columbus, OH.
- Heil, C. & Gill, H. (2018). Teaching Critical Consumption & Creation: Film and Digital Archives as Sites of Intervention. Feminist & Queer Pedagogies Workshop, Wooster, OH.
- Newton, C., Heil, J., Breitenbucher, J. & Bosley, B. (2018). Collaborating in Context: ILiADS as a Platform for Undergraduate Digital Scholarship. From Evidence to Scholarship: Transforming Undergraduate Student Research in the Digital Age, Portland, OR.
- Newton, C. (2018). The Access Spectrum: Undergraduate Research in Digital Commons. Digital
- Commons Ohio Users Group Meeting. Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH.
- Newton, C., Daigle, B. & Mitchell, M. (2017). Getting Unstuck: A Collaborative Approach to Getting Started with Digital Preservation. Library Technology Conference, St. Paul, MN.
- Newton, C., et al. (2016). Building Communities for Digital Scholarship. Digital Library Federation, Milwaukee, WI.
- Newton, C. (2016). Digital Preservation for the Digital Humanities. Institute for Liberal Arts Digital Scholarship, Hamilton, NY.
- Newton, C., Nieves, A., Senier, S., Enkhbold, U. (2016). ILiADS Overarching Themes Panel, Institute for Liberal Arts Digital Scholarship, Hamilton, NY.
- Newton, C. & Flynn, S. (2016). The Exemplars: Showcasing Excellent Undergraduate Work. Digital Commons User Group Meeting, OH.
- Newton, C., Staffaroni, E. & McCall, V. (2012). Uses of Space: Women’s Global and Local Resistance. Panel discussion at Women’s History Conference, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY.
- Newton, C. (2012). Resistance through movement: South African women negotiate space. Paper presented at Women’s History Conference, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY.
Principal Investigator, Council of Library and Information Resources, Digitizing Hidden Special Collections and Archives grant, “Letters from Harriet Noyes: Missionaries and Women’s Education in 19th-Century China.” 2019-2021