English - Instructor
Office: Kauke 214
- B.A., French, Lake Forest College, 2002
- M.F.A., Interdisciplinary Arts and Media, Columbia College Chicago, 2006
- M.A., English, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2013
- Ph.D., English, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2018
- COMM 235 Media, Culture and Society
- ENGL 120 Romance Narratives
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies Women’s Caucus Graduate Essay Prize, 2017
- Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2015-2016
- “Television’s ‘Mr. Moms’: Idealizing the New Man in 1980s Domestic Sitcoms.” Feminist Media Histories 4.1 (2018): forthcoming.
- “‘A Friendship That Will Define You Both’: Star Trek and the Devolution of American Masculinity.” Science Fiction Film and Television 9.3 (2016): 417–438.
- “First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage: (Homo)Normalizing Romance on American Television.” Journal of Popular Romance Studies 5.2 (2016): 1–13.
- “A Red Room of Her Own: Dominants, Submissives, Fans, and Producers of Fifty Shades of Grey.” Intensities 8.1 (2016): 34–46.
- “Literary Culture Inside and Outside Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.” International Journal of the Book 10.3 (2012): 27–32.
- “One True Threesome: Reconciling Canon and Fan Desire in Star Trek: Voyager.” Transformative Works and Cultures 8 (2011) .doi:10.3983/twc.2011.0248
Bridget Kies (B.A. Lake Forest College; M.F.A. Columbia College Chicago; M.A. and Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee) has previously taught first-year studies at Valparaiso University and courses in media studies and LGBT studies at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. At Wooster, she will teach courses in global media studies for the English and Communication departments. Her research examines non-normative masculinities in television and digital media.