Religious Studies - Assoc. Prof. [Dept. Chair] and Women's, Gender & Sexuality
Office: Kauke 127
- B.A., University of Kansas 1998
- M.A., University of Kansas 2002
- Ph.D., Indiana University 2010
- RELS 130: American Religious Communities
- RELS 241: New Religious Movements
- RELS 247: Native American Religions and Cultures
- RELS 265: Religion and Science in American History
- RELS 269: Religion, Race, Gender, and Class
Teaching and Research Interests
Primary: American Religious History, New and Alternative Religious Movements in America, American Metaphysical Religions
Secondary: Theories and methods for the study of religion, religion and popular culture
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences Louise McNutt Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2009
- Indiana University Department of Religious Studies Dissertation Fellowship, 2007-2008
- Future Faculty Teaching Fellow, Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis, 2006-2007
- Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences Travel Award, Fall 2006
- Chancellor's Fellow, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2002-2006
- Graduate Research Award, 2001, Department of Religious Studies, University of Kansas, "The Construction of Authority in Falun Gong."
- American Academy of Religion
- Organization of American Historians
- American Society of Church History
- "Corresponding to the Rational World: Scientific Language and Rationales in Christian Science and the Unity School of Christianity." Nova Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emerging Religions. Vol. 14, No. 4
- "Eating for Unity: Vegetarianism in the Early Unity School of Christianity." Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture. Vol. 9, No. 2, Spring 2009.
- "Oahspe," "The Seventh-day Adventists," and "Urantia." Articles in Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices. J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann, eds. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC/CLIO, 2002.
- "New Religious Movements: Nineteenth Century." Encyclopedia of Religion in America. Charles Lippy and Peter Williams, eds., Christian Quarterly Press.
- "The Amana Society" and "Jemima Wilkinson." Encyclopedia of The American Counterculture. Gina Misiroglu, ed., M.E. Sharpe Publishers.