308 E. University Street
Wooster, OH 44691
Before Senior Year
- Discuss possible self-designed topics with potential advisors before summer.
- Choose topic in late summer
- Start reading background material
Fall of Senior Year
- Conduct literature search* and record search strategy in your notebook
- Apply for Copeland Funds for research equipment and travel
- Collect or build equipment, write code, or perform initial calculations
- Develop thesis outline and record in your notebook
- Obtain preliminary results
- Present oral progress report to faculty and majors in December.*
- Write thesis draft including at least two substantial chapters.
- Email thesis draft PDF to the Physics Administrative Coordinator by 5 PM the last day of classes.*
Spring of Senior Year
- Collect final data or finish calculations
- Complete thesis manuscript*
- Deliver first complete draft of thesis to your advisor before Spring Break^
- Submit thesis copies to the Registar by 5 p.m. the Monday after Spring Break^^
- Defend thesis orally before the physics faculty*
- Present results at Senior Research Symposium poster session
- Digitally archive corrected thesis manuscript PDF
* Complete in the semester indicated or risk an NC (No Credit) for that semester.
^Your adviser is not expected to read or comment on a draft submitted after this date.
^^Failure to meet the deadline set by the Registrar could result in an NC (No Credit).