Wooster holds an historic commitment to a diverse community of learners and a long-standing understanding that equity and inclusion are necessary for excellence. That’s a terrific starting place, and one to be proud of. But it doesn’t mean that we have arrived at our destination. With more than 150 years of dedication to these principles, we know that realizing them requires determination and continuous action.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
In 2017, we implemented our multi-year Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan , which laid out nine key goals to increase the diversity of our community and address bias and discrimination and ensure that individuals of all backgrounds and identities can live, learn and thrive at Wooster.
The nine goals articulated in this plan and endorsed by the cabinet and the Board of Trustees are as follows:
- Increase recruitment of students, faculty and staff from historically marginalized groups
- Increase accessibility of campus spaces and programs for those with disabilities
- Increase resources and support for students, faculty and staff from historically marginalized groups
- Create clear responsibilities/expectations for work towards diversity, equity and inclusion
- Increase cultural competencies and skills among students, staff and faculty
- Partner with the City of Wooster community
- Organize and resource diversity, equity and inclusion work to enable consistent oversight, leadership and assessment
- Develop and implement regular assessments of progress toward goals
- Communicate effectively and regularly with the community about actions and progress
In recent years, Wooster has made great strides in enrolling a significantly more diverse student body. Today, our campus is one of the most diverse in Ohio, comprised of more than 40 percent U.S. students of color and international students. Our community of learners, who come from 68 countries and 48 states–from farm towns and big cities, from dozens of faiths and cultures perspectives–is among our institution’s greatest assets and one worth celebrating and protecting.
Learn more about our Center for Diversity and Inclusion and student programming.
Student Diversity Statistics at The College of Wooster
- Friday, November 19, 2021: Updates on Actions and Next Steps Related to the Black Student Manifesto
- Friday, August 28, 2020: On Support, Action and Next Steps
- Saturday, July 11, 2020: On Supporting International Members of Our Community
- Thursday, July 2, 2020: Update on Anti-Racist Work at Wooster
- Monday, June 15, 2020: Pause, Learning and Reflection: June 19th
- Friday, June 12, 2020: Next Steps for an Equitable and Inclusive Workplace at Wooster
- Tuesday, June 9, 2020: Racism, Wooster and the Urgent Work Ahead
- Saturday, May 30, 2020: A Message about this Moment and our Community
- November 5, 2019 President Bolton email to campus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Wooster (.pdf)
- November 5, 2019 Dean Brown email to campus on Counseling Center (.pdf)
- November 1, 2019 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan Update (.pdf)
- October 31, 2019 Dean Brown email to campus on SPS changes (.pdf)
- October 23, 2019 CDEIO Town Hall (PowerPoint Presentation)
- March 5, 2019 Galpin Call In, One Year Later (.pdf)
- May 1, 2018 Note to Campus on DEI Strategic Plan Update (.pdf)
- May 1, 2018 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan Update (.pdf)
- January 30, 2018 President Bolton email to campus on Galpin Call-in Commitments (.pdf)