- B.S., Northeast Missouri State 1990
- M.A., University of Arizona 1995
- Ph.D., University of Arizona 1997
Social support in the parent-child relationship, especially during transition and adjustment to college. Conflict management in friend and family relationships.
- COMM 111: Intro to Communication Studies
- COMM 152: Public Speaking
- COMM 221: Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 225: Small Group and Organizational Communication
- COMM 311: Theories of Human Communication
- COMM 353: Quantitative Research Methods
- COMM 401: Junior Independent Study
Hammond, C., Mitchell, P., & Johnson, M. (2009). Academic preparation for cultural and linguistic diversity in speech language pathology. Contemporary Issues in Communication Sciences and Disorders, (36), 63-76.
Afifi, W., & Johnson, M. (2008). Tie-signs in a public setting: Relationship and sex differences. In L. K. Guerrero & M.L. Hecht (Eds.), The nonverbal communication reader 3rd edition, 209-216.
Miczo, N., Miczo, L., & Johnson, M. (2006). Parental support, perceived stress and illness-related variables among first-year college students. Journal of Family Communication, 6, 97-117.
Afifi, W., & Johnson, M. (2004) Coding tie signs. In V. Manusov (Ed.), Beyond words: A sourcebook of methods for measuring nonverbal cues. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Afifi, W. A., & Johnson, M. L. (1999). The use and interpretation of affection displays in public settings: Relationship and sex differences. Personal Relationships, 16, 9-38.
Burgoon, J.K., Johnson, M.L., & Koch, P.T. (1998). The nature and measurement of interpersonal dominance. Communication Monographs, 65, 308-335.
Morrill, C., Johnson, M., & Harrison, T. (1998). On voice and context in everyday legal discourse: The influence of gender and social ties. Law and Society Review, 32, 639-665.
- National Communication Association
- International Communication Association
- Central States Communication Association
- International Society for the Study of Personal Relationships
- International Network on Personal Relationships
- Co-advisor for Communication Club and Lambda Pi Eta