- B.S., Technical University Carolo-Wilhelmina at Braunschweig, Germany 1991
- M.S., Technical University Carolo-Wilhelmina at Braunschweig and National Institute of Natural and Engineering Sciences, Braunschweig, Germany 1997
- Ph.D., Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany 2002
Areas of Interest
Pattern Formation and Dynamics in Nonequilibrium Systems
- First Year Seminar
- Physics Revolutions
- Environmental Physics
- Algebra Physics I and II
- Algebra Physics Laboratory I and II
- Calculus Physics I and II
- Calculus Physics Laboratory II
- Modern Physics Laboratory
- Thermal Physics
- Junior Independent Study
Independent Study Advising
- William Hilbert, Designing an Apparatus for Creating 1D Standing Waves Using Reaction-Diffusion-Advection Systems, 2022
- Melita Wiles, Angular Frequency of Rotating Spiral Waves in a Chemical Reaction-Diffusion System, 2022
- Megan Fisher, Creating an Event Horizon Analogue with the Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction, 2021
- Craig Klumpp, A Case of Heartburn: Replicating the Heart’s Electrical Signals with Fire, 2021
- Handeul Son, Investigation of Fire Propagation using Discrete Tree Simulations, 2021
- Margaret McGuire, What a Mouthful! Geographic Tongue as a Reaction Diffusion System
(Pre-dental math major, officially advised by Drew Pasteur). See her 2020 Virtual Senior Research Symposium contribution. (Dental school at UNC Chapel Hill), 2020 REU
- Daniel Blaikie, Propagation of Light-Sensitive Reaction-Diffusion Waves in Inhomogeneously Illuminated Systems (Masters student in Applied Physics at the University of Oregon), 2019
- Samuel (Sam) Nash, Using Belousov-Zhabotinsky waves as an Analogue to the Event Horizon of a Black Hole, 2019
- Joseph (Joe) Theiss, Slope’s Effect On Discrete Tree Fire Simulations (Security Operations Engineer for Accenture Federal Services), 2019
- Jack Mershon, Modified Propagation of Anomalous Belousov-Zhabotinsky Waves in a Quasi-1D System, 2018
- Nathaniel Smith, A Computational Simulation of Belousov-Zhabotinsky Wave Behavior Around Obstacles, 2018
- Marc Manheim, On the Creation of a Lab-sized Hydrodynamic Event Horizon Analogue, 2017
- Robin Morillo (Physics and Math), The Effects of Slope upon Propagation Speed and Pattern Formation in Forest Fires, 2017
- Mitch Gavin, An Injector to Investigate Reaction-Diffusion-Advection Systems, 2016
- Spencer Kirn, Excitation Waves in Planar, Inhomogeneously Illuminated Systems
- Diego Miramontes Delgado, Creating Quasi Two-Dimensional, Curved Molds with 3-D Printing Technology
- R. J. Field, R. M. Mazo, and N. Manz
Science, serendipity, coincidence, and the Oregonator at the University of Oregon, 1969-1974
Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science 32 (2022), 052101.
- M. K. McGuire, C. A. Fuller, J. F. Lindner, and N. Manz
Geographic tongue as a reaction-diffusion system
Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science 3 (2021), 033118.
- Y. F. Yu, C. A. Fuller, M. K. McGuire, R. Glaser, N. J. Smith, N. Manz, and J. F. Lindner
Disruption and recovery of reaction-diffusion wavefronts interacting with concave, fractal, and soft obstacles
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 565 (2021), 125536.
- N. Manz
The Twists and Turns of a Dynamic, Nonlinear Career Path
‘Career Path Story’ article for the ACS Graduate & Postdoctoral Chemist Magazine (2019).
- N. Manz, H. Phillips, C. Herndon, A. E. Ambrose, and F. H. Fenton
Dynamics of Table-top Fire Fronts, Article in SIAM News Online based on presentation at 2019 SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems in Snowbird, Utah (2019).
- N. Manz and F. H. Fenton, Patterns and Humans in Kinko Tsuji and Stefan C. Müller (Eds.), ‘Spirals and Vortices‘, Springer International Publishing (2019), 217-224.
- N. J. Smith, R. Glaser, V. H. W. Hui, J. F. Lindner, and N. Manz
Disruption and Recovery of Reaction-Diffusion Wavefronts Colliding with Obstacles
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 517 (2019), 307-320.
- G. Bordyugov, N. Fischer, H. Engel, N. Manz, and O. Steinbock: Anomalous dispersion in the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction: Experiments and modeling, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 239 (2010), 766-775.
- American Physical Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- Ohio Academy of Sciences