- B.S., University of Puget Sound (Physics and Mathematics) 2003
- M.S., Ph.D. University of Oregon 2004, 2010
- Dissertation title: “Measurement and control of transverse photonic degrees of freedom via parity sorting and spin-orbit interaction”
Areas of Interest
Quantum and nonlinear optics, light-matter interactions, two-photon interferometry, structured light, geometric phases, quantum mechanics, general relativity.
- First Year Seminar
- Algebra Physics
- Calculus Physics
- Modern Physics
- Math Methods for Physical Sciences
- Electronics for Scientists Lab
- Thermal Physics
- Electricity & Magnetism
- Particle Physics
- General Relativity
- Quantum Mechanics
- Junior Independent Study
Independent Study Advising
- Bennett Anderson, Isotropic Particle Trajectories Around a Light Emitting Optical Nanofiber, 2022
- Jonathan Logan, Calibrating a Sagnac Dual-Path Interferometer to Verify the Existence of Global Phase via Output Intensity, 2022
- Ben Stern, Investigating a Material’s Nonlinear Susceptibility Using Entangled Photons, 2022
- Mili Barai, Measuring Properties of Entangled Photons using the Hong-Ou-Mandel Effect, 2021
- Mattaeus (Matt) Klonowski, Understanding the Swelling Mechanism of Stimuli Responsive Organically-Modified Silica, 2021
- Andrew Kunkel, Examining Light-Matter Interactions through Two Photon Entanglement, 2021
- Carlos Owusu-Ansah, The Trajectory of an Anisotropic Particle Near a Light-Transmitting Optical Nonofiber, 2021
- William (Christian) Julius, Phase Memory of Photons, 2020
- Emma Brinton, Exploring the Dynamics of a Small Dielectric Sphere Due to the Higher-order Modes of an Optical Nanofiber, 2018
- Collin Hendershot, Attacking the Curve: A study of the effect of concavity on aerodynamic forces associated with high speed automobiles, 2018
- Preston Pozderac (Physics and Math), Blinded by the Light: An Investigation of the Wave Propagation of Vector Modes of Light in a Spherically Symmetric Refractive Index Profile, 2017
- Michael Wolf, Optical Tractor Beam: Force on a Small Nanobead, 2017
- Michael Bush (Physics and Math), A Comparative Analysis of Photon and Electron Wave Functions in Spherically Symmetric Potentials, 2016
- Andrew King-Smith, Manipulation of Polarized Transverse Spatial Modes to Induce Non-linear Structures Using the Geometric Phase, 2016
- Maggie Lankford, The Production and Manipulation of Nonseparable Spin-Orbit Modes of Light Under Hong-Ou-Mandel Interference Conditions, 2016
- Yashasvi Lohia, Modal Analysis of Light Propagating Through Structurally Disturbed Optical Fibers, 2016
- Saul Propp (Physics and Philosophy) Relativistic Perturbations and Ontological Implications: Exploring the Zitterbewegung and Laying the Groundwork for a Quantum Ontology, 2015
- Deepika Sundarraman, The Manipulation of Transverse Spatial Mode and Polarization Degrees of Freedom of Light in an Asymmetric Interferometric System, 2014
- Tom Gilliss, Manipulation of Transverse Photonic Degrees of Freedom via Classical and Hong-Ou-Mandel Interference, 2013
- Karl Smith, Electrons Aligned and Felines Undefined: Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics and Perturbing the Spin-Orbit Interaction in Electrons, 2013
- Michael-Erik Ronlund, Sorting Spatial Wavefunctions of Photons by Parity, 2013
- Mohammad Saif Ahmad, Parity-based Measurement and Control of the Spatial Wave Function of Photons, 2012
- Margaret Raabe, Manipulation of a Photon’s Wave Function in Optical Fibers, 2012
- Dashielle L.P. Vitullo, Cody C. Leary, Patrick Gregg, Roger A. Smith, Dileep V. Reddy, S. Ramachandran, and Michael G. Raymer, “Observation of Interaction of Spin and Insrinsic Orbital Angular Momentum of Light”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 083601 (2017).
- C.C. Leary, Maggie Lankford* and Deepika Sundarraman*, “Polarization-based control of spin-orbit vector modes of light in biphoton interference”, Optics Express Vol. 24, 3 pp. 14227-14241 (2016).
- Leary, Cody C., Maggie Lankford* and Deepika Sundarraman*, “Polarization-Based Control of Spin-Orbit Hybrid Modes of Light in Biphoton Interference”, in Conference on Laser and Electro Optics 2016 and 2016 Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, San Jose, CA (2016).
- C. Leary, M. Lankford* and D. Sundarraman*, “Coupling of spin and orbital degrees of freedom in tunable Hong-Ou-Mandel interference involving photons in hybrid spin-orbit modes”, Proceedings of SPIE: Optics and Optoelectronics – Quantum Optics and Quantum Information Transfer and Processing (2015).
- C. Leary and Karl H. Smith*, “Unified dynamics of electrons and photons via Zitterbewegung and spin-orbit interaction”, Phys. Rev. A, 89, 023831, (2014).
- Cody C. Leary, Thomas Gilliss* and Deepika Sundarraman*, “Bimodal Hong-Ou-Mandel Interference in Symmetric and Asymmetric Optical Systems”, proceedings of the Conference on Coherence in Quantum Optics, Optical Society of America, M6 05 (2013).
- Dashiell L. Vitullo, M. G. Raymer, Cody C. Leary, Siddharth Ramachandran, “Photonic Spin-Orbit Interaction in Few-Mode-Optical Fiber,” in the Proceedings of the Frontiers in Optics: Laser Science XXVII Conference, San Jose, CA (2011).
- Yoonshik Kang, Kiyoung Cho, Jaewoo Noh, Dash Vitullo, Cody Leary, and Michael G. Raymer, “Remote preparation of complex spatial state of single photons and verification by two-photon imaging experiment” Opt. Express 18, 1217 (2010).
- C. C. Leary, M. G. Raymer, and S. J. Van Enk, “Spin and Orbital Rotation of Electrons and Photons via Spin-Orbit Interaction” Phys. Rev. A (Rapid Communications) 80, 061804 (2009).
- C. C. Leary, L. A. Baumgardner, and M. G. Raymer, “Stable mode sorting by two-dimensional parity of photonic transverse spatial states” Opt. Express 17, 4 (2009).
- C. C. Leary, D. Reeb, and M. G. Raymer, “Self-spin-controlled rotation of spatial states of a Dirac electron in a cylindrical potential via spin-orbit interaction” New J. Phys. 10, 103022 (2008).