- B.A., Kenyon College 1996 (physics minor)
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin 2001 with Robert J. McMahon
- Postdoctoral Fellow, The California NanoSystems Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 2002-2004, with J. Fraser Stoddart (2016 Nobel Laureate)
Areas of Interest
- Supramolecular chemistry and photochemistry: calixarenes, crown ethers, and photo-responsive molecular capsules
- Light-emitting organic compounds: design of conjugated polymers, OLED device fabrication
- Materials chemistry: formulation, response, and applications of swellable organically-modified silica (SOMS)
- First Year Seminar (2012: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms)
- Chemistry 111: General Chemistry I
- Chemistry 112: General Chemistry II
- Chemistry 211: Organic Chemistry I
- Chemistry 212: Organic Chemistry II
- Chemistry 313: Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry 401: Introduction to Independent Study
Independent Study Advising
- Kristin Holm, Investigation of Esterification Reactions in Swellable Organically Modified Silica Towards the Synthesis of Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Angelo Melari, Investigation of the Heck Reaction for the Synthesis of a Model Light-Emitting Copolymer
- Andrea Steiger, Synthesis of a Functionalized Calixarene-Capped Azobenzene: A Supramolecular Host in Polar Organic Solvents
- Bonvallet, P. A.; Lindner, J. A.; Corbin, B.; ‡ Crow, D.; ‡ Reffner, R.; ‡ Albon Riedl, T.; ‡ Lehman, S. Y.; Edmiston, P. Modeling and measuring the absorption-induced expansion of swellable organically modified silica. AIP Advances 2020, 10, 065136.
- Amburgey-Peters, J. C.; Bonvallet, P. A. “Spectroscopy First” for Interweaving and Scaffolded Learning in Organic Chemistry, In NMR Spectroscopy in the Undergraduate Curriculum: First Year and Organic Chemistry Courses Volume 2; Soulsby, D.; Anna, L. J.; Wallner, A. S., Eds.; ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2016, pp 49-51.
- Bonvallet, P. A. Detective work (book review of The Scientific Sherlock Holmes). Nature Chemistry 2013, 5, 441.
- Bonvallet, P. A.; Amburgey-Peters, J. C. Data vs. Dogma: Introducing NMR Early in Organic Chemistry to Reinforce Key Concepts, In NMR Spectroscopy in the Undergraduate Curriculum; Soulsby, D., Ed.; ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society; Washington, DC, 2013.
- Bonvallet, P. A.; Mullen, M. R.‡; Evans, P. J.‡; Stoltz, K. L.‡; Story, E. N.‡ Improved functionality and control in the isomerization of a calixarene-capped azobenzene. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52, 1117-1120.
- Invited Speaker for “Small Splash, Big Waves”; ACS symposium for researchers in organic chemistry at primarily undergraduate institutions
- AP Chemistry Exam: Currently serving as Chief Reader and Exam Development Committee member
- 36 published conference abstracts with 34 undergraduate co-authors
- Technical editor: Organic Chemistry for Dummies and Chemistry Workbook for Dummies
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR)
- Phi Beta Kappa (former chapter president)
- MRI: Acquisition of an NMR Spectrometer to Sustain Excellence in Undergraduate Research
- REU Site: Cutting-Edge Science in a Close-Knit Community (with Department of Physics)
- American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund (2012-2017)
- National Science Foundation Research Opportunity Award (2010-2011)