- Ph.D. East Asian Languages and Literatures, The Ohio State University 2015
- M.A. Interdisciplinary Studies: Folklore, University of Oregon 2009
- M.A. Modern and Contemporary Chinese Literature, Peking University (China) 2005
- B.A. Chinese Language and Literature Education, Henan Normal University (China) 2002
Areas of Interest
- Chinese Oral and Performing Literature
- Food and Folklore
- Chinese Mythology and Popular Religion
- Narrative and Narrative Theory
- Digital Media and Ethnographic Filmmaking
- Grassroots agency in the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Public Health
- CHIN 213: Anti-Asian Racism
- CHIN 220: Women and Gender in China
- CHIN 225: Myths, Legends and Beliefs in China
- CHIN 299: Language in China
- CHIN 301 and 302: High Intermediate Chinese I and II
- CHIN 311: Journey to the West
- CHIN 399: Food and Religion in China
- CHIN 401: Junior Independent Study
- CHIN 451 and 452: Senior Independent Study
- FYSM-10100-35: First Year Seminar: Women and Gender in Contemporary East Asia
- You, Ziying. 2020. Folk Literati, Contested Tradition, and Heritage in Contemporary China: Incense Is Kept Burning. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Zhang, Lijun, and Ziying You, eds. 2019. Chinese Folklore Studies Today: Discourse and Practice. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- You, Ziying. 2021. “Serving a Campus as an International Scholar.” In What Folklorists Do: Professional Possibilities in Folklore Studies, edited by Timothy Lloyd, 27-31. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- You, Ziying. 2019. “Contested Myth, History, and Beliefs: Remaking Yao and Shun’s Stories in Hongtong, Shanxi.” In Chinese Folklore Studies Today: Discourse and Practice, edited by Lijun Zhang and Ziying You. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Zhang, Lijun, and Ziying You. 2019. Introduction to Chinese Folklore Studies Today: Discourse and Practice, edited by Lijun Zhang and Ziying You. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- You, Ziying and Qiaoyun Zhang, 2022. “Graces in One’s Hearth: Grassroots Memorialization of Dr. Li Wenliang during the COVID-19 Outbreak in China.” Journal of American Folklore 135, no. 535.
- You, Ziying. 2020. “Zainan, chuanshuo he xinyang de hudong: richang zhengzhi yu ren shen huhui 灾难、传说和信仰的互动:日常政治与人神互惠 (The Interplay of Disasters, Legends and Beliefs: Everyday Politics and Human-deity Reciprocity).” Minzu wenxue yanjiu 民族文学研究 (Studies of Ethnic Literature) 6: 45-53.
- You, Ziying. 2020. “Conflicts over Local Beliefs: Feudal Superstitions as Intangible Cultural Heritage in China.” Asian Ethnology 79(1): 3-19. https://asianethnology.org/articles/2257
- You, Ziying and Patricia Hardwick. 2020. “Guest Editors’ Introduction to the Special Issue: Intangible Cultural Heritage in Asia: Traditions in Transition.” Asian Ethnology 79(1): 137-159. https://asianethnology.org/articles/2252
- You, Ziying. 2017. “Cong hongshui shenhua dao hongshui xushi: Shanxi Hongtong yi zaimin wei zhongxin de zainan xushi he shequ chongjian 从洪水神话到洪水叙事：山西洪洞以灾民为中心的灾难叙事和社区重建(From Flood Myth to Flood Narrative: Survivor-centered Disaster Narrative and Community Rebuilding in Hongtong, Shanxi).” Minsu yanjiu 民俗研究(Folklore Studies) 4: 117-126.
- You, Ziying. 2017. “Bianqian zhong de chuantong: Shanxi Hongtong youguan feiyi baohu de chongtu yu zhengyi 变迁中的传统：山西洪洞有关非遗保护的冲突与争议(Changing Tradition: Contentious Responses to the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Hongtong, Shanxi).” Wenhua yichan文化遗产(Cultural Heritage) 1: 33-42.
- You, Ziying. 2015. “Entertaining Deities and Humans with Performances of Puju (Puzhou Opera) at a Temple Fair in Yangxie Village, Southwestern Shanxi, May 29-June 2, 2013.”Journal of Chinese Oral and Performing Literature 34 (2): 139-161.
- You, Ziying. 2015. “Shifting Actors and Power Relations: Contentious Local Responses to the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Contemporary China.” Journal of Folklore Research 52 (2-3): 253-268.
- Reprinted in UNESCO on the Ground: Local Perspectives on Global Policy for Intangible Cultural Heritage, edited by Michael Dylan Foster and Lisa Gilman, 113-128. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Lloyd, Timothy, and Ziying You. 2013. “Meiguo gonggong minsuxue de guoqu, xianzai he weilai 美国公共民俗学的过去、现在和未来(The Past, Present, and Future of Public Folklore in America).” Translated by Ling Ding. Minsu yanjiu 6: 30-41.
- You, Ziying. 2012. “Tradition and Ideology: Creating and Performing New Gushi in China from 1962 to 1966.” Asian Ethnology 71 (2): 259-280.
- You, Ziying. 2021. Review of The Heritage Turn in China: The Reinvention, Dissemination and Consumption of Heritage, edited by Carol Ludwig, Linda Walton, and Yi-Wen Wang. The China Journal86: 195-197.
- You, Ziying. 2020. Review of Song King: Connecting People, Places, and Past in Contemporary China, by Levi S. Gibbs. Journal of American Folklore 133 (529): 363-365.
- You, Ziying. 2012. Review of Burning Money: The Material Spirit of the Chinese Lifeworld, by C. Fred Blake.” Asian Ethnology 71 (2): 298-300.
Other Recent Articles
- You, Ziying. 2021. “Jiaoshou mama shi zenme liancheng de 教授妈妈是怎样练成的？(How Did I Become a Professor Mom?).” Yunli Yue Tianxia 云里阅天下. https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/l6sURYf7OMG-75DIwSbSg.
- You, Ziying. “Teaching Chinese Mythology in American College Classroom”. In Tradition and Transition: Teaching Chinese Culture Overseas, edited by Gang Liu and Haixia Wang. Beijing: Beijing University Press. (Forthcoming)
- You, Ziying. 2018. “Advanced Chinese Language and Culture Course ‘Journey to the West’ Successfully Created at The College of Wooster.” Chinese Language Teachers Association (USA) Newsletters 42(3): 12-3. https://view.flipdocs.com/?ID=10009068 204236#1
- You, Ziying. 2017. ”How China-US Folkloristic Exchanges Influenced Me.” In Metafolklore: Stories of Sino-US Folkloristic Communication, edited by Juwen Zhang and Junhua Song. Guangzhou: Sun Yat-sen University Press.
- Faculty Connection of the Year, Division of Student Affairs, The College of Wooster. 2018-2019
- Tien-Yi Li Award for Outstanding Academic Performance, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, The Ohio State University. 2014
- Dan Crowley Memorial Student Essay Prize, American Folklore Society. 2010
- Archie Green Student Travel Award in Public Folklore, American Folklore Society. 2009
- Jonathan T. Y. Yeh Award for Student Scholarship in Asian and Asian American Folklore, American Folklore Society. 2008
- Promising Scholar Award, University of Oregon. 2007–2008