Anthropology and Chinese major solidified interest in indigenous rights activism through APEX Fellowship

Adam Hinden ’22 completed a summer internship for the Center for World Indigenous Studies

With a strong interest in indigenous rights and past research for his I.S. project, Adam Hinden ’22 knew “the Center for World Indigenous Studies (CWIS) was a perfect place…to participate in such work.” His academic background as an anthropology and Chinese studies major, along with his “prior research in a Native American Peoples and Cultures class,” led him to complete an APEX Fellowship at CWIS that solidifies his interest in the field.

What did you learn about and do during your fellowship? What interests you most about the work you did?

“My daily duties largely involve identifying and categorizing indigenous documents from all over the world. Through this research, I have been able to learn a great deal about current and historical contexts of nation-state relationships throughout the world. I was also able to practice my Chinese reading and writing skills by identifying documents about indigenous groups in Taiwan and China.”

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?

“Through this internship, I have developed strong time management and independent working skills. The responsibility of structuring my time and projects was largely mine alone, which has allowed me to gain competence as an independent researcher. Furthermore, I have gained a great deal of insight into the administrative side of running a website, including publishing and organizing posts and documents.”

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?

“This internship has only solidified my pre-existing interest in global indigenous activism by exposing me to the incredibly diverse span of work conducted by indigenous non-governmental organizations (NGOs). It has also illustrated the lack of activism and awareness about indigenous issues in the Sinosphere (East Asian cultural sphere)— a specific area that I am now more determined than ever to contribute to. I would love to continue working with international NGOs in the future.”

Is there anything else you want to share about your APEX Fellowship?

“Even though my experience was fully remote, I feel as if I have already gained a deeply immersive experience with my organization. Being able to meaningfully participate in the Center for World Indigenous Studies’ core work while simultaneously having the freedom to work on my own time has made for a fulfilling experience as a whole.”

Posted in Experiential Learning on July 12, 2021.