APEX Fellowship reveals a variety of careers in the arts for music performance major

Clare Griffith '22

Clare Griffith ’22 served as an intern at the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, working specifically with the Dayton Ballet, Opera, and Philharmonic Orchestra. In her role, she helped with fundraising, concert programming, and record-keeping.

“My internship helped me feel more confident in my plans to attend graduate school and eventually pursue a career teaching at the college level and performing.”

—Clare Griffith

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was the position a good fit for you? 

“I networked through Wooster alumni and found an internship that suited my goals in the arts field.”

What interests you most about the work you did? What were some of the things you did each day? 

“I performed a wide variety of tasks during my time at the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, but the most interesting opportunity was when I was able to shadow the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra librarian and learn how a music library operates.”

Who was your Fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“My APEX mentor was Professor Jennifer Ison (associate professor of biology), and her weekly responses to my reflections really helped me reflect on my own progress and see what I was doing from an outside perspective.”

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

Is there anything else you want to share about your APEX Fellowship? 

“My APEX Fellowship allowed me to explore living in a different city for the duration of my internship, which was helpful as I look towards post-graduate life. Also, spending time at a performing arts organization helped my understanding of the extremely varied aspects of a career in the arts.”

Posted in Experiential Learning on August 7, 2021.