APEX Fellowship provides research, lab experience for neurobiology major

During his time at Rosalind Franklin University, William McMichael ’22 served as a researcher analyzing the neural activity of rodents. He also educated the public on how neuroscience research can help discover new information on neurodegenerative diseases and mental health disorders. 

“I am excited about the implications for the research I was working on.” -William McMichael 

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was the position a good fit for you? 

I learned about this opportunity through my local neighbors. The position was a good fit, but an in-person experience would have been a better fit.” 

What interests you most about the work you did? What were some of the things you did each day? 

I am excited about the implications for the research I was working on. Specifically, my work shined a light on anxiety and social behavior in rats and how dopamine signaling affects neuronal circuitry connecting the amygdala and frontal lobe.” 

Who was your Fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

My primary mentor is Dr. Nicole Farrara, and the instructor of the lab is Dr. Amiel Rosenkranz. Dr. Farrara is very patient and easy to communicate with which encouraged me while working virtually.” 

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see carrying forward into your career? 

I have learned how to use ImageJ [an imaging process program], but more importantly I worked on communication skills with my mentor, which is certainly something I will take with me into my career and graduate school.” 

Is there anything else you want to share about your APEX Fellowship? 

I really want to praise the people at Rosalind Franklin University. The lab group has been extremely welcoming and adaptive for undergraduate students. I really enjoyed working with the people there.” 

Posted in Experiential Learning on October 27, 2021.