Social justice intern works with kids and families to build appreciation for the arts

Daphnye Henderson '24

Daphnye Henderson ’24, a sociology and education major at The College of Wooster, spent her summer in Wooster as a Social Justice Intern. Working for the Wayne Center for the Arts, Daphnye facilitated artistic expression in an effort to emphasize the importance of arts education in child development. The APEX Fellow also honed her customer service skills by working at the reception desk and conversing about various art camps with parents.   

“My internship helped me learn that I want to go into the programming aspect of curriculum and student support instead of going straight into teaching in a classroom.” 

—Daphnye Henderson ’24  

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was the position a good fit for you? 

“I learned about my internship from emails sent by APEX that mentioned summer programs. My internship was a good position for me because I got the chance to work with children and help them develop an interest in different forms of art.” 

Daphnye Henderson '24What were some of the things you did each day? 

“I was most interested in the program coordination part of my job. Every week, there was a different summer camp hosted at the arts center, and I got to plan some of the activities that were going to be done. My day-to-day activities were different because each camp focused on a different form of art, although one thing I did often was work at the reception desk. I was able to help parents find out which camps were a good fit for their children. One task that was unique was making a poster for the Wooster Juneteenth Celebration. I made a giant poster that kids could color while learning about the history behind Juneteenth.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“My fellowship mentor was Brooke Krause, associate professor of economics and business economics. She was always available to help answer questions that I had or give me guidance when things arose during my internship.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

Posted in Education, Experiential Learning on August 15, 2022.