Sociology major finds a new athletic avenue to develop a fresh view of the future 

Paige Wells ’22

Paige Wells ’23, a sociology major at The College of Wooster obtained a chance to navigate the athletic world this summer. Through her APEX Fellowship at Quality Control Sports, she dealt with research and planning behind the scenes of the sports world. Focusing on her responsibilities, she worked with the basketball division on contracting with potential clients, helping with recruiting players, and researching various statistics. She also secured a break by getting to spend a few days in Las Vegas for the NBA Summer League. Using the advice her mentor provided, Wells has utilized this experience to decide what lies down the lane for her.  

“I helped with client research, event planning, learned about sports contracts, and the ins and outs of this side of the sports world.”

—Paige Wells ’23  

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was the position a good fit for you? 

“I did an APEX Fellowship last year and had a wonderful experience. Before that, my academic advisor recommended the program to me after one of our meetings. The APEX Fellowship is a good fit for me because I get to reflect on the experiences I am having, as well as share it with others.” 

What were some of the things you did each day?

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“My mentor was Megan E. Wereley, associate professor of education, and she always gave great feedback on my weekly reflections and asked great questions to fuel the next week. It was super helpful in understanding how I felt throughout the process, as well as figuring out the next steps in my career.”  

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?  

“I have learned what I want in a job in terms of day-to-day and how a company runs things. I also learned different communication skills and have new confidence that I can make it in this industry.”  

Is there anything else you want to share about your APEX fellowship? 

“It is a wonderful experience and I think all students should go for this opportunity at some point in their time at Wooster. It is a game changer.”  

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories on August 15, 2022.