Anthropology and French double major combines areas of interest through internship at study abroad provider

Kiki Giles '24 Advising Meeting

Following a year in Morocco with IES Abroad (Institute for the International Education of Students)’s “Study in Rabat” program, Kiki Giles ’24, an anthropology and French and francophone studies double major at The College of Wooster, was offered the opportunity to stay on IES Abroad Rabat as an assistant student affairs coordinator. In her position, Giles created and executed experiential learning opportunities for current students in the program, informed by her own experiences as a former student. While in Rabat, she planned immersive activities and assisted faculty on excursions, focusing on the integration of culture and language with classroom materials. Following her time in Rabat, Giles returned to her home city, Chicago, where she continued her internship at IES Abroad Chicago Headquarters as a college relations and advising intern. There, she gained first-hand experience with the administrative side of study abroad programs and strengthened her communication and management skills.

“My strengthened skills in French and Arabic language will be a strong asset as I continue to pursue my interests in the Middle East and North Africa, while my ability to effectively problem solve, adapt, and communicate will serve me well in any career I pursue in the future.” 

—Kiki Giles ’24

Kiki Giles '24 Cooking

Kiki Giles ’24 (left) in a cooking class

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? 

“While I was a student with IES Abroad’s ‘Study in Rabat’ program, I was approached by my center director and offered the opportunity to stay with IES Abroad Rabat after I completed my studies as a summer intern. After my experiences studying abroad in Morocco for a year and spending the previous summer in Jordan with the Critical Language Scholarship, I had made leaps and bounds of progress in my Arabic and French language skills, and I had become increasingly confident and adaptable, all of which gave me the experiences and skills needed to work with study abroad programs. These experiences in turn made me a good fit to work with the IES Abroad Chicago Headquarters as an alumnus of one of their programs with extensive knowledge of Rabat and the student experiences on this program.”  

What interests you most about the work you did?  

“I was most interested by how study abroad providers construct experiential learning opportunities for their students through tours, cultural activities, and field trips because they bring everything together including language, area studies, and the ability to immerse oneself. This ended up being the foundation of my work while at the IES Abroad Rabat Center, where I was implementing these opportunities for our customized program students by setting up activities, assisting our faculty during them, etc. On the side of my internship with IES Abroad Chicago, I was able to explore this from a larger perspective by seeing how the centers are supported by our advising, marketing, and academics departments, all of which play a direct role in helping our programs provide opportunities to students and keeping them aware of these experiences.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position?  

“My fellowship mentor was Dr. Erzsébet Regan, and one of the best ways she supported me was by taking the time to give me detailed feedback on my reflections, which helped me to see different aspects of my internship experience I would never have considered before.” 

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?  

“On the one hand, my strengthened skills in French and Arabic language will be a strong asset as I continue to pursue my interests in the Middle East and North Africa, while my ability to effectively problem solve, adapt, and communicate will serve me well in any career I pursue in the future.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

“I would say that this internship deepened my interest in working with study abroad programs and providers by giving me the perspective of a faculty member after my time as a student, which has in turn solidified my plans to continue participating in programs abroad after graduation such as Fulbright and TAPIF.”

Featured image: Kiki ’24 (right) works in an advising meeting with a student.

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on August 16, 2023.