English and anthropology major delves into local museum work during APEX Fellowship

Emily Voneman '25

Emily Voneman ’25, an English and anthropology major, worked with the Wayne County Historical Society in several capacities this summer, ranging from directing tours to documentation and digital record-keeping. This APEX Fellowship experience solidified Voneman’s plans to declare a minor in museum studies and gave her a new perspective on what it takes to work in a volunteer-run museum.

“I got to work hands-on with the museum collection, documenting and photographing it to create a comprehensive and transparent digital record of what the Historical Society owns. Getting to work directly with pieces of history is so incredible.”
—Emily Voneman ’25

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship?

“I learned about this internship opportunity through my professor and advisor, Beth Derderian. The position was a great fit for me because I knew I wanted to work in a museum profession, and this was an opportunity to get a taste of what that would be like in a smaller museum setting. I also got the opportunity to live on campus while I worked, so I was in a familiar place. I got to learn about the community I’ve become a part of as a student at the College.”

What interests you most about the work you did?

“My favorite task at the Wayne County Historical Society was catalog reconciliation. Essentially, I got to work hands-on with the museum collection, documenting and photographing it to create a comprehensive and transparent digital record of what the Historical Society owns. Getting to work directly with pieces of history is so incredible.”

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position?

“My fellowship mentor was Rebecca Williams. She was so incredibly helpful during this internship. She pushed me to think about how this internship would be useful in my future career, made sure I was feeling safe and comfortable at my internship, that I was having fun alongside my work, and more. She made me feel like she was truly interested in what I was doing and enjoyed hearing about my work and my career interests.”

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?

“I’ve learned a lot about cooperation with colleagues and coworkers. I gained excellent organizational skills. Giving tours and taking inquiries from the public about the museum also strengthened my public speaking and communication skills. Altogether, this internship has really helped me see my own value in the workplace and boosted my confidence.”

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?

“This internship has shown me that I would thrive in a museum career. It helped me realize how much passion and dedication is required for museum work; the Wayne County Historical Society, where I interned, is almost entirely volunteer run.”

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on August 16, 2023.