Jacob Hailperin-Lausch Named Carpenter Pre-Law Prize Winner

Jacob Hailberin-Lausch

WOOSTER, Ohio — Jacob Hailperin-Lausch, a cum laude graduate of The College of Wooster, has been selected as the recipient of the 2017 David L. Carpenter Pre-Law Prize. The award, which is presented annually to The College of Wooster’s top pre-law student, recognizes academic achievement, participation in Wooster’s Pre-Law Advising Program, experience as a student leader, and a commitment to personal honesty and integrity.

“It is an immense honor to be selected for the Carpenter award considering all of my accomplished peers who have won this award before me,” said Hailperin-Lausch, who came to Wooster from Indianapolis. “I have looked up to some of them throughout my college career and am now very proud to be recognized as one of them. I want to thank the entire Wooster community, my family, and friends for making this possible and for their support throughout my time here.”

A history major at Wooster, Hailperin-Lausch interned with Judge Mark Weist at the Wayne County courthouse public defenders office and was a volunteer at People to People Ministries. In addition, he was named to Phi Alpha Theta history honor society as well as the Dean’s List and studied abroad in Siena, Italy.
According to John Rudisill, associate professor of philosophy and chair of the pre-law advising program, “Jacob continues the tradition of awarding this prize to a student of true distinction. He has excelled as a student at Wooster and been an integral member of our nationally elite moot court team each of his four years at the College.”
Hailperin-Lausch will attend Case Western Reserve University College of Law in the fall. He received a Justice Story Scholarship for International Property Law. “I have been working hard to attend law school throughout my time at Wooster and am still partially in shock that the time has arrived,” he said.
Established by the Figgie Family Foundation in 1999, the Carpenter Prize commemorates the life of the late David Lyle Carpenter, a 1965 Wooster alumnus who became a leading tax and corporate lawyer and a partner in the Cleveland law firm of Calfee, Halter & Griswold L.L.P. Prior to his death in 1999, Carpenter was recognized by Best Lawyers in America for excellence in corporate law. He was also an active member of the Heights Christian Church and served on the board of the National Conference for Community and Justice. At Wooster, he won departmental honors in economics and lettered in track and field. He later attended the University of Michigan, where he earned both an M.B.A. and a J.D.

Posted in News on May 19, 2017.