I.S. explores the impact of queer identity on Central American family life

Cesar Lopez '21

Major: sociology Mentor: Siavash Samei, visiting assistant professor of archaeology and anthropology, Middle Eastern & North African studies I.S. title: Reconstructing Home and Family: An analysis of the family life experiences of queer Central Americans living in the United States

For his Independent Study, Cesar Lopez sought to answer the question of how queer Central Americans go about reimagining new familial units and negotiate meaning in new relationships when they are confronted with the need to reconstruct a family. The sociology major interviewed several people who identify as queer and/or Central American to learn more about how they experience family life in the U.S. and how they actively engage in family construction or homebuilding for themselves. “All of this I can largely attest to having the support of Dr. Samei. He has sat down with me every single week this semester to really make sense of my thoughts. He has been able to get me to just slow down and refine the direction that my I.S. was moving.” Recognizing the difficult conversations he had with participants, Lopez hopes that from his thesis, other queer Central Americans can learn to reimagine home and family for themselves. 

To watch the videos that Lopez made about his progress throughout his I.S. journey click here: Cesar Lopez Episode One, Cesar Lopez Episode Two, and Cesar Lopez Episode Three.  

Originally published in the summer 2021 issue of Wooster magazine.

Posted in Independent Study on June 21, 2021.