We need your help to recruit the next president of The College of Wooster

presidential search update

Dear College of Wooster community,

Growing up in New Jersey I never realized the world of opportunity that awaited me as a student at The College of Wooster. But from the moment I arrived on campus for my first visit as a high school senior in 1977 on a sunny, 70-degree day—music blaring from the Quad—I knew there was something special about this College. That experience of being full of excitement as I toured Wooster’s vibrant buildings and grounds, eager and full of possibilities, is something I’ll never forget. It’s why I remain involved as a Trustee and engaged alumnus all these years later. Put simply, I love to help our students and support ways to make sure they too experience a Wooster that is rewarding for all.

A history major, my academic experience was guided by exceptional faculty like Professor Emeritus James Hodges, who also served as my I.S. advisor. He was just one of the many faculty and staff who made a lasting impact in my life through their teaching and dedication. I also found a passion for rugby as a member of our club team. When I had the opportunity to study abroad my junior year in Vienna, Austria, I continued to pursue this passion while playing with the Vienna Celtics. These experiences taught me cornerstone lessons on how to motivate my teammates and friends and proved foundational for my career in investment management.

I am deeply honored to have been chosen by the Board of Trustees to lead the presidential search committee to identify Wooster’s 13th president at this critical time in the history of Wooster and higher education. It’s been a challenging couple of years with the pandemic, but Wooster is coming through in a position of strength. We have a wonderfully diverse student body, supported by exceptional staff and faculty who love to teach. We continue to enjoy healthy and steady enrollment and a growing endowment. Our campus is constantly being upgraded, with a signature student center transformation set to open next academic year. Wooster has so much to offer and should be enticing to our next leader.

Together with the members of our presidential search committee, I am committed to conducting a transparent and inclusive search process that factors in the many diverse voices of our broad Wooster constituency. As a reminder, we’ve scheduled the following on-campus listening sessions for April 18-19. Please refer to your email with links for the following dates and locations listed below. NOTE: All listening sessions will be held in the Wilson Governance Room, located on the lower level of The Scot Center.

Staff

• Monday, April 18, 2022 | 11:00-11:45 a.m.
  • Tuesday, April 19, 2022 | 2:00-3:00 p.m.

Faculty

• Monday, April 18, 2022 | 9:00-9:45 a.m.
  • Monday, April 18, 2022 | 3:00-3:45 p.m.
  • Tuesday, April 19, 2022 | 8:45-9:30 a.m. 

Students

• Monday, April 18, 2022 | 5:00-6:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday, April 19, 2022 | 11:30-12:30 p.m.

Faculty, Staff, and Students Joint Session

If you are unable to attend your listening session above, please join us for this session open to all faculty, staff, and students.

• Tuesday, April 19, 2022 | 4:00-5:00 p.m.

I sincerely hope that you will choose to join us in this search process to help identify the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead and the characteristics most important for Wooster’s next president—whether as part of one of next week’s listening sessions, through our online survey, future events, or via nominations you send to woosterpresident@storbecksearch.com. Your feedback will help us to develop our presidential prospectus to advertise the position later this spring.

While we prepare to connect with many of you next week, I encourage you to visit our presidential search website where you can learn more about upcoming events, the members of the presidential search committee, and access archived communications about the search process.

Go Scots!

Peter

Peter Sundman ‘81
Carbondale, Colorado
Chair, Presidential Search Committee
presidentialsearch@wooster.edu
https://www.wooster.edu/presidential-search

Posted in Presidential Search on April 12, 2022.