Business economics major builds artistic skillset at a Vietnamese production house

Vu Dao '23

Vu Dao ’23, a business economics major at The College of Wooster, interned at an agency company in Vietnam. The APEX fellow who is also a studio art minor developed his artistic and media-production skills at Tomochi Production, a production house based in Ho Chi Minh City.  Encouraged by pursuing the Digital & Visual Storytelling pathway, Dao sought to develop his knowledge of the roles visual media played. His role consisted of setting up sets, arranging meetings with clients, editing commercials, and helping the director to come up with new and creative perspectives for content. Dao focused on effective communication with clients to create campaigns and incorporate their preferences.  

“My internship helped me understand how the industry works. It showed me that the field of art was the right one for me.” 

—Vu Dao ’23 

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship?  

“I learned about my internship through my old advisor from a company I worked at. She was an avid supporter of my goals. The position was a dream job for me because I got a chance to work in an artistic environment.” 

What interests you most about the work you did?  

“The most interesting part about my work was turning something normal into something new and appealing. I had to create and make pieces that the client required more attractive and meaningful. For example, I had to turn some leaves and a chair into a beautiful background to shoot some photos. I also had to make a television advertisement with just a trampoline and a girl.” 

Who was your mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“My mentors at the office were the director, Thanh and the photographer, Manh. Both of them were awesome and they gave me a lot of advice. To work in this industry, one needs a creative imagination. My mentors helped to improve my creative mindset by letting me practice. They also assisted me during my work on a set.” 

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career? 

“Photography skills, directing skills, a working mindset, editing skills, and content creator skills” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?  

“My internship helped me understand how the industry works. It showed me that the field of art was the right one for me. The internship also introduced me to other aspects which made me realise that what I learned in college was just a small part, and there are bigger ideas and opportunities waiting for me out in the world.”  

Posted in Experiential Learning on August 15, 2022.