Business economics major solidifies career aspirations by working at a non-profit organization committed to changing lives through sports

Alex Pollitt ’23

A business economics major, Alex Pollitt ’23 interned at the Louisville Sports Commission during the summer. A student at The College of Wooster, he utilized his network to find this opportunity for an APEX Fellowship. He also solidified his skillset in marketing and data analytics. Pollitt made headway in bringing national sporting events to Louisville, along with reflecting on his internship with the guidance of his fellowship mentor, Ryan Ozar, visiting assistant professor of education.  

“I enjoyed analyzing and attempting to improve certain aspects of our events and services to better sports and healthy lifestyles in Louisville.”  

—Alex Pollitt ’23  

What interests you most about the work you did? 

“I enjoyed seeing the impact of our challenging work on event days, as it was rewarding to see the joy people experience from something you helped put together. I enjoyed analyzing and attempting to improve certain aspects of our events and services to better sports and healthy lifestyles in Louisville. One of the most unique experiences I had was working on the PGA tour as a Laser Shot link operator, which sends the trajectory of the golf shots to the television crew.”  

Alex Pollitt ’23Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position?  

“Ryan Ozar, visiting assistant professor of education, was my fellowship mentor. He helped guide my reflections and responses so that I was able to think critically and better understand the value of my experience with LCS and APEX.”  

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?  

“Event planning, creating readable spreadsheets, forming meaningful relationships, and adaptability.”  

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories on August 15, 2022.