College of Wooster student develops a broader perspective by interning at a leading IT solutions provider in Ethiopia

Sumeyya Sherief '25

Sumeyya Sherief ’25 followed her interest in computer science by interning at MoTi Engineering PLC over the summer. Pursuing an Entrepreneurship Pathway at The College of Wooster, she gained hands-on experience with technological difficulties, data analysis, and the assessment of security warnings issued by apps and network devices. As an APEX Fellow, she acquired an intensive skillset including coding and solving troubleshooting issues, among many others.  

“I’ve come to realize that I’m an obstinate problem solver. Growing up, my family often criticized my stubbornness, but I never thought it was a good thing. However, it was helpful because programming and software development involves perseverance and a lot of trials.” 

—Sumeyya Sherief ’25 

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was the position a good fit for you? 

“I found out about the internship opportunity through an upper-class student. I thought it would be a good fit for me because I was undecided about my major, and I thought a hands-on experience of the career path I want to follow would help me decide.  

What were some of the things you did each day?  

“I was involved in coding, maintaining systems, and troubleshooting issues when they came up. I updated client and business systems as necessary to keep them functional. I created new documentation which involved developing new goods and upgrading existing ones. I made a point to view websites from the perspective of the clients. While the clients waited for my boss or supervisor, I loved chatting with the clients. My position didn’t require me to work directly with clients. However, working at a small office changed this dynamic.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Associate Professor of Psychology Grit Herzmann offered me insightful comments from my weekly journal entries. Her counsel throughout my internship granted me someone with whom I could explain how my experience had altered my original career objectives. Writing down and recording my thoughts allowed me to think on my choices as well as share them with her.” 

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career? 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?  

“This internship has relieved a lot of my burdens. It has helped me recognize that I’ve been studying something I wasn’t excited about as someone who wanted to pursue pre-med for most of my life.” 

Posted in Experiential Learning on August 15, 2022.