Internship at construction company helps computer science major renew her love for the subject

Linda Berhe '25

Linda Berhe ’25, a computer science student at The College of Wooster, has worked with construction companies since high school. When she learned that Dawit Girmay Building Company was looking for interns, she quickly applied for the position. Through her APEX Fellowship at the company, Berhe learned how to store data and use the SQL programming language. She saw the inner workings of a construction company and learned more about the mechanical engineering involved in building. Berhe reaffirmed her interest in computer science and realized that she is also interested in the field of engineering. 

“I discovered how much I enjoy computer science. I can state with certainty that my goal is to earn a degree in computer science, and I want to enroll in programs to satisfy the pre-engineering requirement for the degree”

—Linda Berhe ’25

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship?  

“I used to work at Afrotsion Construction during my high school years. Because Afrotsion is no longer a construction company, I asked another employee about potential job options. Then he informed me that the Dawit Girmay Construction Company was going through some improvement and in need of some interns.”  

What were some of the things you did each day?  

“Learning how to use the SQL language and save data through it is my greatest achievement there. I’ve used it to store a lot of information. My daily workday was primarily focused on storing data for the company.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Megan Wereley, associate professor of education, was my motivation. She helped in making my experience maneuverable. Megan’s advice has helped me to grow. She spurred me to challenge myself by asking questions to my peers and supervisor.”  

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career? 

“Before I get involved in things, I’ve learned to give it some serious thought and write my goals down on a piece of rough paper. That makes it easier for me to evaluate my activities in the present and the future. I’ve learned to be more patient, and I’ve also come to realize how important it is to manage my time well.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?  

“I discovered how much I enjoy computer science. I can state with certainty that my goal is to earn a degree in computer science. Additionally, I was curious to learn more about physics. I was actually getting interested in mechanical engineering after seeing some building sites, and I want to enroll in programs to satisfy the pre-engineering requirement for that degree.” 

Image: Linda Berhe ’25

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories on August 15, 2022.