College of Wooster senior Glenna Van Dyke performs bagpipe solo at Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s inauguration

Glenna Van Dyke '23

Glenna Van Dyke ’23, a history and education major at The College of Wooster, performed the bagpipes at the inauguration of Ohio Governor Mike DeWine on Jan. 9 in Columbus, Ohio. Taking the stage in her tartan Wooster Pipe Band uniform, Van Dyke performed the song “Amazing Grace” to a crowd of spectators watching the inauguration both in-person and on television. 

A member of the Wooster Pipe Band, Van Dyke was both anxious and excited for this opportunity. “When I performed, I was a bit in awe that I was really performing for the governor’s inauguration,” she said. “I saw myself on the telecast and thought, ‘Oh wait, that’s really me!’ Immediately after I performed, I let the gravity of the event sink in more, and I felt grateful for the experience” 

Van Dyke first found the College because of her passion for the Scottish arts. She began to play the bagpipes when she was 12 years old and was excited when she found a college as passionate about the instrument as she is. “Being able to show so many people at the inauguration the emotional impact that this instrument can have, and why Wooster does so much to keep this art form alive on our campus, was an honor,” she said.  

Beyond the Scottish arts, Van Dyke sees Wooster as a great fit for her academically. A history and education major, Van Dyke has had the opportunity to engage in departmental research and participate in an experiential learning opportunity with the Wayne County Historical Society, where she helped the museum with research, exhibit planning, and collections management. Applying what she’s learned in a practical way, she says, helped her narrow down her career plans and has made her even more excited to pursue a career in education and public history.  

The opportunity to play for Governor DeWine’s inauguration was significant to Van Dyke and also carried special meaning for the DeWine family. Through her performance, Van Dyke honored the DeWines’ daughter, Becky DeWine ’93, a Wooster alumna who tragically died in a car accident at 22 years old.  

“I can’t thank the DeWines enough for inviting me to honor their daughter’s legacy through my music and to their staff for making this performance happen.” Van Dyke said. “I’m also incredibly grateful for Interim President Wayne Webster and Palmer Shonk, adjunct instructor of music, who informed me of this opportunity. A performance like this is at the core of why I play the bagpipes in the first place.” 

Photo by Hailey Bollinger, provided by Office of Ohio Governor Mike DeWine

Posted in Education, News on January 27, 2023.