A greeting to the Wooster community from President McCall

President McCall welcome to campus

Dear College of Wooster Community,

The moment has finally arrived when I graduate from president-elect to president of The College of Wooster! Thank you for your warm welcome. I look forward to experiencing many Wooster firsts, along with the brilliantly ambitious and diverse incoming Class of 2027.

Over the past six months, I prepared for this moment by studying written information, of course, talking with colleagues and experts around the country, and above all, by doing everything I could to learn about our campus community. In visits to campus, I focused on meeting students, members of governance committees, faculty and staff, and community leaders. I’ve attended Board meetings virtually and in-person and met with a few alumni in their homes and at venues around the world. It was a special privilege discussing Independent Study projects with members of the graduating class and their mentors at Senior Research Symposium. And I look forward to learning more. To all of you who took time out of your schedules to help me learn about your role, our work, and our College over the past several months, thank you. My understanding and appreciation for the Black & Gold has grown with each encounter. If we haven’t yet had the opportunity to meet, I am eager to hear your perspective on our work together. Please be on the lookout for upcoming Wooster events in your local area and on-campus gatherings this fall. 

Wooster’s storied history and mission demand that we continually strive to offer our renowned liberal arts and sciences education from a global perspective and in ways that are relevant to the real and emerging needs of students and society. Remaining true to what makes us distinctive while encouraging creativity and innovation will be paramount as Wooster navigates increased competition from all directions, as well as financial and societal challenges. The planning processes with which many of you have been engaged will allow us to understand what we can do readily and better than others and how we should operate, collaborate, and communicate to set us on a course of success for years to come. We are fortunate to benefit from the steadfast commitment of our campus community, alumni, and friends. I look forward to all that we will achieve together.

The College has been well-served by the many thoughtful decisions made during the 2022-2023 academic year, under the steady and collaborative leadership of Interim President Wayne Webster and the dedicated members of Wooster’s Board of Trustees. I am deeply grateful to Wayne and the Board for stewarding Wooster with such care and for the many ways they have supported my transition to the College.

With an initial scan of the local restaurant scene and a first trip to the DMV checked off our list, my husband Ravi and I are eager to settle in and discover more of the magic of Wooster and this great community.

Best wishes for a restful remainder of summer and cheers for a great year ahead.

Go Scots! 

Anne

Dr. Anne E. McCall
President
Professor of French and Francophone Studies

Posted in President McCall on July 5, 2023.