Biology and education major works to conserve Amazon River biodiversity with APEX fellowship

Lake Barrett '23

Lake Barrett ’23 wanted to find a summer internship that would allow him to make a difference in the field of conservation and combine the skills he learned as a biology and education major. He was excited to find an APEX fellowship with Alliance for a Sustainable Amazon, a Peru-based organization that works to conserve biodiversity and natural resources in the Amazon River Basin. During his APEX fellowship, Barrett worked on wildlife monitoring projects, reforestation projects, and an independent research project on amphibian conservation. The native of Columbia, South Carolina said that this internship provided him with opportunities to grow his knowledge not only of the ecology of the Amazon, but also encouraged him to continue raising awareness about issues of deforestation and climate change in his future work.  

“I have picked up valuable knowledge about the ecology of lowland Amazon forests that I can use in the future as a biologist and as an educator. This internship has opened the door for me to work in areas of the globe that I previously didn’t consider possible.” —Lake Barrett ’23 

What interests you most about the work you did? 

“I was searching for ways to work and make a difference in the Amazon. When I found Alliance for a Sustainable Amazon, I found that opportunity. What interested me most was the opportunity to study biology and conservation in the Amazon, which is widely regarded as the world center of biodiversity. Some of my daily activities included reforestation, assisting with lepidoptera (the order of insects that includes butterflies and moths) research, monitoring aguaje palm and Brazil nut phenology, and conducting research into my own interests.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Hilary Edgington, visiting assistant professor of biology, was my fellowship mentor, and she was able to offer valuable feedback to me as a fellow biologist. She understood the things I was doing in my APEX fellowship and could relate them to experiences of her own.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?  

“I have picked up valuable knowledge about the ecology of lowland Amazon forests that I can use in the future as a biologist and as an educator. This internship has opened the door for me to work in areas of the globe that I previously didn’t consider possible. I would like to be able to spend more time studying in this ecosystem in the future and continue to raise awareness about the challenges it faces so that students I teach in the future are not learning about an ecosystem that no longer exists.” 

Photo: Barrett’s work included reforestation efforts in the Amazon River Basin. Photo by Lake Barrett

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on July 19, 2023.