Self-designed public health major gains clinical experience with APEX fellowship

Eleanor Weiker '24

Eleanor Weiker ’24, a rising senior at The College of Wooster, personalized her educational experience by self-designing a public health major, along with completing an environmental studies minor. With an interest in a career in healthcare, Weiker gained clinical experience over the summer with an APEX Fellowship as a health coach through a partnership with Wooster Community Hospital, the Community Care Network. The Columbus, Ohio native met with patients daily to follow up on doctor’s appointments, assess problems the patients have, and connect with members of the community about their health. As she gained first-hand experience and made connections in the medical field, Weiker also improved her confidence in working with patients and confirmed that she wants to pursue a career in medicine. 

“This experience has confirmed that I want to work in health care. I’ve become much more confident with my ability to assess patient’s issues, and I’ve become skilled at quickly forming close relationships, which will help me as a health care provider.” —Eleanor Weiker ’24

Why was the position a good fit for you? 

“I was a health coach during the semester and have greatly enjoyed my experiences and was interested in this role during the summer. I want to work in healthcare, and this is a great opportunity to get hands-on patient care experience. Each day I visit up to six patients and take vital signs, follow up with doctor’s visits, assess acute problems, and fill medication boxes. I love seeing patients have small wins and being able to encourage those.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Grit Herzmann, associate professor of psychology and chair of the Department of Neuroscience, was my mentor for my APEX fellowship. She provided a relaxed environment to discuss our experiences and work through challenges, as well as celebrate successes.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

“I’ve become much more confident with my ability to assess patient’s issues, and I’ve become skilled at quickly forming close relationships, which will help me as a health care provider. This experience has confirmed that I want to work in health care, encouraged me to consider working with geriatrics, and emphasized the importance of building relationships with patients.” 

Photo: Weiker got hands-on patient care experience with her APEX fellowship. Photo by Eleanor Weiker

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on July 26, 2023.