Communication sciences and disorders student inspires an appreciation for the arts during APEX Fellowship

Bri Lowry '25 surrounded by her students

Brianna Lowry ’25 knew she wanted to encourage children to explore creative expression, so when an opportunity to intern as a camp counselor at the Wayne Center for the Arts arose, she seized it. Lowry, a communication sciences and disorders major and education minor at the College of Wooster, practiced essential problem-solving skills and learned to effectively communicate with adults and children during her APEX Fellowship. During Lowry’s time in this role, Naoko Skala, assistant professor of theater and dance and South Asian studies, offered words of encouragement and detailed weekly feedback as a fellowship mentor. Lowry’s experience working alongside passionate and dedicated colleagues has only affirmed her plans to work with children in the future.

“This internship has solidified that I chose the right path for myself. I have always enjoyed working with young kids and this internship has given me a lot of invaluable experiences.”

—Brianna Lowry ’25

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship?

“I learned about the opportunity through one of the professors in my department. I applied to intern at the Wayne Center for Arts because I wanted more experience working with children in an environment that fosters and encourages creativity. I knew it would be a good fit for me when I saw how passionate and motivated each instructor is to shape our youth and provide a safe place to learn about fine arts.”

What interests you most about the work you did?

“What interests me most about the work I did was learning alongside the campers I was mentoring. I grew up around the arts, but I have taken a much deeper dive into why art is done in certain ways and how it is also unique to each person. I am also fascinated by and have thoroughly enjoyed how unapologetic the campers are. They have the wildest imaginations and a tremendous amount of creativity. I am grateful I got to watch them carry that throughout each week of camp.”

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position?

“My fellowship mentor was Naoko Skala. She helped me succeed by giving words of encouragement at the beginning of each week and giving me detailed feedback on my weekly reflections.”

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on August 11, 2023.