APEX Fellowship connects music education major with students in Wooster community

Anna Puster '25

Anna Puster ’25, a music education major at The College of Wooster, first learned of her APEX Fellowship opportunity with the Wayne County Performing Arts Council (WaCPAC) and Triway High School’s Music Department in an exit interview for Introduction to Education. Matthew Broda, associate professor and department chair of education, suggested that she apply for the position. As a music department assistant at Triway High School, Puster aided the directors in preparations for the fall musical and summer band camp. She also served as assistant music director for WaCPAC’s youth musical. In these positions, Puster engaged with students of all ages, offering encouragement, support, and direction in each rehearsal. She gained further technical experience and offered assistance and insight to both the band and choir directors as they prepared for camp and the musical.

“I want to encourage other students in arts-related fields to look for experiences that could be integrated into the APEX Fellowship program. I think many people view this program as something just for STEM, business, and communication-related majors, but it can really be anything you’d like it to be!”

—Anna Puster ’25

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? 

“I learned about the opportunity from Matthew Broda, associate professor and department chair of education in my exit interview for Introduction to Education. This position allowed me to design my internship to combine two arts-related internships into one large project.” 

What interests you most about the work you did? 

“When you work with kids, every day is different. I never knew what exactly I’d be needed for when I went to a WaCPAC rehearsal, but I had fun figuring out how to communicate with a wide range of ages. I would sit in on every rehearsal, listen to the kids sing, and offer suggestions to both them and the music director on how to help them improve. I also organized the wireless microphones for the shows, including ordering, picking up, assembling, assigning, troubleshooting, evaluating, and dropping off. In my Triway internship, I worked with both the band and choir directors to help them get ready for and run band camp and prepare for the fall musical.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Erszebet Regan, Whitmore-Williams associate professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, was a great resource during the fellowship. I always appreciated her feedback for my reflections and the insight and connections she offered.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?  

“It has been great to get some experience in activities I wouldn’t otherwise get to witness in my music education classes. I now have a better idea of what will be expected of me as I step into similar roles in the future.” 

Is there anything else you want to share about your APEX Fellowship? 

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on August 16, 2023.