Computer science and economics major hones software skills during APEX Fellowship

Tasin Saifullah '25

Tasin Saifullah ’25 called his APEX Fellowship a “pivotal steppingstone” on his journey to becoming a software engineer. Saifullah, a computer science and economics major at The College of Wooster, is originally from Bangladesh. He spent his summer in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, working as an intern at Shiree. A human resource technology company, Shiree streamlines the hiring process for employers and employees, and provides its clients with an assessment test to filter out job applicants. During his time there, Saifullah worked on MERN stack development, enhancing an HR web app, collaborating with engineers, and deploying on Google Cloud Platform.

“The internship has been a pivotal steppingstone, reaffirming my career aspirations. It gave me first-hand experience in the software industry, allowing me to grasp the intricacies of real-world product development.” 

—Tasin Saifullah ’25

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? Why was it a good fit for you?

“I learned about the internship opportunity through LinkedIn. The position was a perfect fit for me as it aligns with my career aspirations to become a software engineer. The role offers exposure to front-end development which I am keen to explore further. Working in a startup environment provided a unique opportunity to understand the end-to-end process of product development, from design to back-end operations.”

What interests you most about the work you did? What were some of the things you did each day?

“What interests me most about my work was the opportunity to be hands-on with front-end development and to collaborate with various teams, which enabled a holistic understanding of product development. On a daily basis, I was involved in designing user interfaces, writing and testing code, fixing bugs, and collaborating with the design and back-end teams to ensure seamless integration of components.”

Who was your mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position?

“My mentor was Shahman Shahriar, the lead of the front-end team. Shahman played a crucial role in my success by providing consistent guidance throughout my internship. He helped me refine my front-end development skills, offered valuable insights on the best industry practices, and fostered an environment of collaboration. His mentorship was pivotal in enabling me to effectively contribute to the team and grow professionally.”

What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career?

“Key skills I’ve learned and will carry forward in my career include front-end development techniques, enhanced collaboration and communication from working with diverse teams, problem-solving through debugging, and knowledge of the best industry practices in a real-world environment.”

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you?

“The internship has been a pivotal steppingstone, reaffirming my career aspirations to be a tech lead. It gave me first-hand experience in the software industry, allowing me to grasp the intricacies of real-world product development. It has solidified my interest in front-end development. It has also enriched my understanding of computer science, underscoring the practical applications of what I’ve been studying, which has made my field of study more vibrant and meaningful.”

Posted in Experiential Learning on August 16, 2023.