Global and international studies major delves into international diplomacy in APEX Fellowship

Ben Byars '24

Ben Byars ’24, a global and international studies major at The College of Wooster, found an internship opportunity at the World Affairs Council in his home state of Kentucky offering close collaboration with the U.S. Department of State, where he hopes to work in the future. Byars combined his passions of international relations and global engagement, working on the Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP). In this program Byars connected with foreign visitors from around the world and coordinated IVLP exchange programs, conducted research, created proposals, facilitated activities, and interacted with foreign professionals during their visit. Throughout his internship with the World Affairs Council and IVLP, Byars strengthened his professional communication skills and gained crucial insight into the fundamentals of international relations and diplomacy, preparing him for future partnerships in the field. 

“This internship has helped me to understand the career opportunities within international relations and diplomacy, as well as the organizational structures within this industry and how they can be navigated.” 

— Ben Byars ’24

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship? 

“While researching organizations related to international relations in my home state, I learned about the opportunity to intern at the World Affairs Council. I knew that the position was a great fit for me because of how the organization aligns with my passion for international relations and global engagement. Furthermore, the chance to work directly on the U.S. Department of State International Visitor Leadership Program was the type of meaningful experience I was pursuing.” 

What interests you most about the work you did? 

“The most interesting aspects of the work I did at my internship were connecting with visitors from around the world, sitting in on meetings with community leaders and innovators in Louisville, and understanding how my work fits into the United States’ diplomatic strategy. My work each day involved all aspects of coordinating the IVLP exchange programs, including conducting research, writing proposals, arranging appointments and cultural activities, tracking impact, and accompanying foreign professionals during their visit to Louisville.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“My fellowship mentor, Rebecca Williams, assistant professor of biology helped me succeed in this position by pushing me to reflect critically on my experience and be proactive in sharing my ideas with the organization.” 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

“This internship has helped me to understand the career opportunities within international relations and diplomacy, as well as the organizational structures within this industry and how they can be navigated. My experience has maintained my interest in working at the U.S. Department of State. I also learned many skills that I see myself carrying forward in my career including professional communication, proposal writing, creating agendas, data entry, and photography.” 

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories 2023 on August 16, 2023.