Studio art major communicates “Sentiments” with nature-focused independent study

Emma Staggs '24

Studio art major Emma Staggs ’24 completed a senior Independent Study project titled “Sentiments” that pays homage to the inherent beauty of the natural world and its ability to create a space for all. The visual work involves sculpting with clay, embedding natural forms in wax, and explores concepts of art as a way to hold memory and feeling.  

“My I.S. is my attempt to pause and express sentiments I have never been able to communicate,” said Staggs. “My work shows my love for and connection to nature and how the moments we spend in those spaces are fleeting.”

Staggs, who worked with Bridget Murphy Milligan, professor and chair of art history on her I.S. explained that the pieces relates back to a specific sites, including stream or trails, and used material collected from them, such as leaves, stones, or branches. Along with the objects she found, she used components of wax to support time and preservation.  

Q: What excites you about your I.S.? 

Staggs: I think what excites me most about my I.S. is that even after a year of working on it, I could continue to produce more pieces for it. The breakthroughs I had while completing my I.S. will continue to affect the work I make for many years to come. 

Q: How did Wooster prepare you for designing your project? 

A sculpture by Emma Staggs, created as part of her I.S.

A sculpture by Emma Staggs, created as part of her I.S. Many of her pieces used material collected from specific outdoor sites, such as leaves, stones, or branches.

Staggs: Wooster provided me with the confidence to undertake an extremely ambitious I.S. I made several large installation-based works as well as sculptural pieces in mediums I had never used prior to senior year. Furthermore, my liberal arts education at Wooster allowed me to create a very rich body of work. All my courses, even ones outside the art department, played a role in how I thought about my art and how I wrote about it.

Q: In what ways has your relationship with your mentor supported you throughout this process? 

Staggs: There are not enough words to express how much Professor Milligan positively impacted my Wooster experience and my I.S. She was my rock throughout the whole process. I have known Professor Milligan since my sophomore year as she has served as my academic advisor since I declared my major. Her unwavering belief in me and my capabilities allowed me to produce a successful I.S. Throughout the whole process she treated me like a fellow artist rather than a student, providing me with advice and solutions that I could not form on my own. 

Q: What has I.S. taught you? 

Staggs: My I.S. taught me to think critically about the pieces I am making and what it means to create a cohesive body of artwork. It strengthened my time-management skills, taught me when to ask for help, and showed me I can remain steadfast in moments of difficulty. 

In the fall, Staggs will be attending a post-baccalaureate residency artist program with a concentration in ceramics at Indiana University Southeast. After she completes that program, she plans to pursue a Master of Fine Arts (MFA). 

Featured Image: Emma Staggs ’24 posing with her artwork at an exhibition of senior artwork at Ebert Art Center

Posted in Independent Study on May 10, 2024.