French and Francophone Studies
400 E. University St.
Wooster, OH 44691
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
College-endorsed study-abroad programs in the French-speaking world
IES – Nantes
Each year a number of Wooster students choose IES – Nantes, which has a very strong track record and offers an exciting menu of courses, all of which are taught in French. Nantes is an attractive, pedestrian-friendly city in the Brittany region of France. Thanks to TGV train service, Nantes is only two short hours from Paris. This program is most appropriate for students at the advanced-intermediate or advanced level (who have already completed at least four semesters of college French).
Junior Year in France – Paris
This is one of the oldest American study abroad programs in France. JYF offers an exciting array of courses, covering many academic disciplines. Courses are taught in French and often use the city of Paris as an extension of the classroom. This program is most appropriate for students at the advanced-intermediate or advanced level (who have already completed at least four semesters of college French).
Centre de Linguistique Appliquée – Besançon
Beginning students of French who want to study abroad should consider this program. The CLA offers intensive language instruction that allows students to make rapid progress in French. Foreign students from around the world choose to study at the CLA. You’ll find a very international learning environment, and will enjoy exploring the beautiful countryside around Besançon. This program is most appropriate for beginning and early-intermediate students. Advanced-intermediate and advanced students should consider other programs.
Other endorsed programs in France:
- IES – Paris (courses taught in French and English)
- Dickinson in France (Toulouse) (courses taught in French)
- The Syracuse University program in Strasbourg (courses taught in English)
SIT – Geneva
- Global Health and Development Policy (courses taught mostly in English)
- SIT (Geneva): International Studies and Multilateral Diplomacy (all courses taught in English)
IES – Rabat (Courses taught in English and French)
SIT – Rabat
- Field Studies in Journalism and New Media (courses taught in English)
- Migration and Transnational Identity (courses taught in English)
- Multiculturalism and Human Rights (courses taught in English)
SIT – Fort Dauphin
- Biodiversity and Natural Resource Management (courses taught in English and French)