Global media & digital studies major oversees night camps for elementary and middle school students

Mudiwa Mungoshi ’24

Mudiwa Mungoshi ’24, a global media & digital studies major at The College of Wooster spent their summer working with kids at Crossroads4kids. Largely involved in the educational program which entails empowering children, Mungoshi focused on their role as a camp counselor. The APEX Fellow was in charge of the arts and media portion at Camp Wing, which is in Duxbury, Massachusetts.  

“I had friends here at Wooster who had also undertaken an APEX Fellowship, and I saw how much they loved and learned from such an experience. I have found this to be a great fit for me!”  

—Mudiwa Mungoshi ’24 

How did you learn about the internship opportunity for your APEX Fellowship?  

“I had friends here at Wooster who had also undertaken an APEX Fellowship, and I saw how much they had loved and learned from such an experience. I have found this to be a great fit for me!” 

What were some of the things you did each day?  

“I love working with kids. At camp, we went boating, built fires, and took part in a wide variety of camp-based activities. A task I found unique was when my cabin and I had to take care of a banana for 24 hours! It was much harder than expected.” 

Who was your fellowship mentor and how did they help you to succeed in this position? 

“Sarah J. Sobeck, professor of chemistry, made sure to check in with me regularly to ensure I stayed on track, especially when my communication wasn’t as strong or when time was not on my side. I appreciated the words of encouragement and care that came from her emails.” 

Mudiwa Mungoshi ’24What are some skills you’ve learned that you see yourself carrying forward in your career? 

“Patience and resilience. Kindness. Just pure care and kindness for everyone. “ 

How has the internship helped you to see what’s next for you? 

“I feel like I can see myself working with Crossroads for many summers to come, and this internship just helped solidify that thought in my mind.”  

Posted in Experiential Learning, Showcase Stories on August 15, 2022.