The Sophomore Research Program provides opportunities for students to work as paid research assistants to Wooster faculty members. Through this program students become true partners with faculty in the research process and acquire an understanding of the process involved in conducting research.
Faculty members in any academic department are able to hire Sophomore Research Assistants. In Spring 2014, forty-five projects were funded. Faculty applications are due by August 28th for the fall semester.
Students are eligible to participate in the program from the second semester of their first year through the first semester of their junior year. Sophomore Research Assistants generally work three -seven hours per week for the semester.
Additional benefits for participants in this program include:
- providing excellent preparation for future academic endeavors, such as Independent Study.
- effective orientation with using the library.
- learning to operate new equipment and computer programs.
- enhancing critical thinking and writing skills.
- building positive and mentoring relationships with faculty members.
- having valuable job experience to include on a resume.
Openings for the fall will be posted Sept. 2nd. Applications will require a current resume. Make an appointment with Career Planning, or stop by APEX on Wednesdays from 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. to get help preparing your resume.