Dawn of Darkness by Pookar Chand

I.S. button

Name: Pookar Chand
Major: English
Minor: Economics
Advisors: Lisa Perfetti, Claire Eager

My English Independent Study project was to create a novella length experimental and hybrid narrative that took inspiration from the structural elements of Western young adult literature series such as Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter, while having the characters and their personalities take greater influence from Japanese Shounen and Seinen manga and anime, to allow for a greater diversity of characters’ types.

The story itself is a revenge based narrative that follows the journey of Darren Anderson, as he enters a fantastical world while spiraling into a miasma of unfocused grief, anger and apathy following the passing of his grandfather, who was the singular family member in his life.

What excites me about the project is that it the premise is one that I have rolling around in the back of my mind for some time, and I find the project interesting because it takes inspiration and influence from literature and media that has consistently captured my attention and shaped my own personal taste in entertainment.

Another aspect that excites me is that the project is actually only a small part of a larger novel that itself is a small part of a series, that I do intend expand by fleshing out the characters and their motivations, and by diving deeper into the mystical world and its history.

Posted in Comments Enabled, Independent Study, Symposium 2023 on April 14, 2023.

One response to “Dawn of Darkness by Pookar Chand”

1. Prof. Claire Eager says:

Congratulations, Pookar! I’m looking forward to the conversation next Friday and hope you are doing okay in the meantime. Which influence had the most surprising effect on the novella?