Math Help is Here
Free walk-in assistance
for students in Math 100, 102, 103, 104, 107, 108, 111, 112
Taylor Hall 301
Ronda Kirsch, Coordinator, (330) 263-2490
Hours of Operation
- Sunday 6-10 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday 1-10 p.m.
- Friday 1-3 p.m.
- Closed Saturday
What you should know about the Math Center
- Professors assume you use the Math Center for assistance because nearly everyone in introductory level math courses needs some help. In college level math classes, you have only 14 weeks to learn material that takes about 27 weeks in high school. With this faster pace, instructors expect you to read and study the text, and to study and review class notes to learn the material, in addition to homework practice. Not as much class time is spent on examples; rather, instructors expect you to re- view text examples outside of class. The Math Center staff can assist your understanding of concepts, examples, and homework problems. If it has been a year or two since your last math class, use the Center to get help with math skills you don’t remember.
- You do not need an appointment to use the Math Center; we function on a walk-in basis, but planning ahead is still wise. You can drop in during our hours whenever you are free. Coupled with this flexibility, however, is a lack of control in the number of users in the Math Center at any one time. Generally, we are busiest in the evening (or sometimes the hour) before an assignment is due. We are able to provide more quality assistance when users are not in a hurry.
- Students use the Math Center in different ways. Some students arrive with questions formulated and leave upon receiving the needed assistance. Other students prepare their entire homework assignment in the Center since help is available immediately. Alternately, others work here until achieving a comfort level with the concepts and then finish elsewhere.
- There are no "stupid" questions in the Math Center. We respect all questions and answer them in the best way we know how. Perhaps you have forgotten how to solve a quadratic equation, or you never actually understood trigonometric graphs. We strive to assist you at your mathematical level, without judgment.
- Many students wish they had started using the Math Center sooner than they did. It is much less stressful taking math classes when assistance is available. Once people find out how painless it is to use the Math Center, they return frequently and encourage classmates to do the same. We often hear from users that they understand the material so much better and have a higher course grade with Math Center assistance.
"If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort." -Dave Weinbaum