SNAPPED: Examining how Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation and Food Access Impact Health Outcomes Among Low- income/Low-access (LILA) Populations in Georgia

Paige Clay

Student Name: Paige Clay
Majors: Political Science, Africana Studies
Advisor: Avi Munoz, Fiacre Bienvenu
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the leading food and nutrition program intended to alleviate hunger and provide support to low-income families. Despite their prolific efforts, many low income/low access (LILA) recipients, particularly Black ones, experience barriers when it comes to food access. As a result of this, beneficiary populations resort to purchasing poor nutrient foods (sugar sweetened beverages, high sodium foods, more junk food items, etc), which increases the likelihood of negative health outcomes (obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). In this study, I examine the relationships between SNAP participation, food access and negative health outcomes among Black LILA populations in Georgia. I assert that both SNAP participation and food access are impacting the health outcomes of Black recipients in a negative way. I do so by employing a multi methods approach composed of both a Historical/Geographical analysis and multiple linear regressions. In addition, I define and operationalize two theoretical frameworks (Intersectionality and Critical Race Theory (CRT) that both provide a lens by which one is able understand the social phenomena behind these issues, and more importantly how/why they impact the lives of Black SNAP recipients over time. My research comes out of the personal experiences that I have had with receiving SNAP benefits myself and the stigma that is associated with that. Moving forward I would love to conduct future research regarding SNAP benefit adequacy or even exploring the impacts of COVID-19 and P-EBT on Black SNAP recipients.
Click here to view Paige’s presentation. (NOTE: A Wooster login is required to view this presentation).
Paige will be online to field comments on April 16: Noon-2 pm EDT (PST 9am-11am, Africa/Europe: early evening).

Posted in I.S. Symposium 2021, Independent Study on April 7, 2021.